Towing a Comp Trailer

DoctorCueNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking at a potential new vehicle that will be used when towing my comp trailer and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the need for 4x4. Most I go to seem to set us up on pavement or we’re not off road too far but was wondering if anyone had experience where they thought it would have been helpful getting in and out of a contest site. Thanks!

The Jack! I had to put the truck into 4x4 mode for the first time last year, trying to get out of the mud there.
The other 98% of the time - never used at a contest.

I would get it. We've had to use it a handful of times, but when you need it, you are glad that you have it :-D

i would rather have it and not need it than needing it and not having it.

I needed 4X4 when getting out of yard at the Frostbuster comp that we did.

depends on where and how often you compete. Here in the midwest where it seems to rain every comp except in July and august it's pretty handy.

Looking at a potential new vehicle that will be used when towing my comp trailer and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the need for 4x4. Most I go to seem to set us up on pavement or we’re not off road too far but was wondering if anyone had experience where they thought it would have been helpful getting in and out of a contest site. Thanks!

Only needed it once, but that was worth it to me.

I appreciate the feedback. It would mainly be my daily driver with no real off roading. Terry’s Frostbuster was the only time I’ve used mine at a contest too Coastal but for the other contests I’ve not needed it yet.

I did not think I needed the 4x4, which I had on two other trucks and never used. So I bumped up to a diesel without 4x4. First comp I went to I got stuck and another team helped pull the trailer out. Now the diesel pulled great, and I can't go back to a gasser. But, I now have a diesel ram 2500 with 4x4.

I have rarely actually needed a 4 x 4 at a contest but when I have it’s been extremely important. Plus I’m also one of those guys that just wants any truck he owns to have 4 wheel drive for whatever reason I may need it.

Do they sell pickups that are not 4x4? Maybe a regional thing? They don't exist here.

Or at least no dealers even order them in.

Do they sell pickups that are not 4x4? Maybe a regional thing? They don't exist here.

Or at least no dealers even order them in.

----
At first I thought this was crazy, who orders a 4x2, then I realized, he doesn't get snow!

Back