MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Ozric
On the road to being a farker

I'll take a roast off the big end, if needed, but I usually cut most of a Sam's pork loin into 1 1/2" steaks and cube up the end with the dark meat and make the following:

Green Chili with Pork (Chili Verde)

Ingredients
2˝ lbs pork, cubed
6 Pasilla chilies (those dark, fat forest green ones)
4 Anaheim chilies (longer, skinny grass-green ones)
2 Serrano chilies (look like little, dark jalapenos), sliced thinly
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl dried Mexican oregano (can use regular)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Olive oil as needed for searing meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Blacken all chilies (except Serrano; leave those raw) by holding with tongs over a gas flame or roasting under a broiler. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Once cool to the touch, carefully peel skin off all peppers. Remove as many of the seeds as you can, roughly chop chilies and let stand.

Rub pork with cumin, salt and pepper, sear in a large stock pot, remove to a plate. Sauté onions, garlic and sliced Serrano chilies until softened. Add pork back in, then chilies and oregano. Add broth and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 2-3 hours for a soup/stew consistency, or 4-6 hours for a thicker consistency perfect for a green chili burrito.
Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100
SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I'll take a roast off the big end, if needed, but I usually cut most of a Sam's pork loin into 1 1/2" steaks and cube up the end with the dark meat and make the following:

Green Chili with Pork (Chili Verde)

Ingredients
2˝ lbs pork, cubed
6 Pasilla chilies (those dark, fat forest green ones)
4 Anaheim chilies (longer, skinny grass-green ones)
2 Serrano chilies (look like little, dark jalapenos), sliced thinly
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl dried Mexican oregano (can use regular)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Olive oil as needed for searing meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Blacken all chilies (except Serrano; leave those raw) by holding with tongs over a gas flame or roasting under a broiler. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Once cool to the touch, carefully peel skin off all peppers. Remove as many of the seeds as you can, roughly chop chilies and let stand.

Rub pork with cumin, salt and pepper, sear in a large stock pot, remove to a plate. Sauté onions, garlic and sliced Serrano chilies until softened. Add pork back in, then chilies and oregano. Add broth and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 2-3 hours for a soup/stew consistency, or 4-6 hours for a thicker consistency perfect for a green chili burrito.
That sounds extremely delicious!

I have lots of recipes to try now -- I really appreciate it!

Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
danno79
Knows what a fatty is.

On a boneless porkloin, their is a fatter end, and a skinny end, the skinny end is the rib end. If it were beef, you'd call it rib-eye, or rib roast. That little 7"-9" piece of pig heaven is spectacular. You can cut that into 1" or so chops, and grill, roast it the way you would do prime rib, or chunk it up with some onion soup mix in the crockpot, also very good. The fat end has more tendons, and will look a little more knarly, but not to worry, butterfly that first 4" or so about 1/4' thick, season with your favorite grill rub, amd voila, boneless grilled pork tenderloin. You want to save the center most 10"-12" for your Canadian Bacon.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #19
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno79 View Post
On a boneless porkloin, their is a fatter end, and a skinny end, the skinny end is the rib end. If it were beef, you'd call it rib-eye, or rib roast. That little 7"-9" piece of pig heaven is spectacular. You can cut that into 1" or so chops, and grill, roast it the way you would do prime rib, or chunk it up with some onion soup mix in the crockpot, also very good. The fat end has more tendons, and will look a little more knarly, but not to worry, butterfly that first 4" or so about 1/4' thick, season with your favorite grill rub, amd voila, boneless grilled pork tenderloin. You want to save the center most 10"-12" for your Canadian Bacon.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #20
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Last time I had a full loin, I cut the middle 1/2 or so into thick pork chops for the grill and treated the ends as roasts on the smoker. It all turned out fantastic.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

slice in about 1-1.5" pieces and wrap with bacon you get "fillet of pig" or cut pockets in the chop for stuffed poke chops. marinate in mojo & roast slice thin for cuban samiches. Smoke it slice thin and into a pan of mushroom gravy serve piled high on texas toast for hay stack samiches wif mashed tatoes.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalaska View Post
Where are you getting your meat, Neighbor?

JP
Well....you know where the higher end stuff is. HOWEVER, Most of my goodies come from Sam's in Asheville(that's where those prices came from). But BE SURE to stop by the new Harris Teeter on Merrimon Ave even their frozen section is worth a look....and trader joe's right beside it.

Now there's another higher end butcher on Charlotte St in Asheville called the chop shop(not to be confused with the chop house nearby). They have some seriously tasty meats there, but they really like you wallet. I suggest if you're buying from them to only purchase what Casey and the gang in Blk mountain don't carry such as duck confit and the like.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #23
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
A 10lb loin? Jeez that was one big pig!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Only if it was a tenderloin ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
That could be why I was thinking it was a bit big...

Fwiw, the pork loins that you normally find in a grocery are really 1/2 loins.

Here's a pic of a packaged whole pork loin like OP is talking about.

Basically, a entire pork loin is the "ribeye" loin as well as the "strip" loin and ends with a sirloin.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #24
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Must be an optical illusion, because that first picture looks a whole lot larger than the second one...

(Sorry, I'm kidding. Tired. Should go to sleep...)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #25
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Must be an optical illusion, because that first picture looks a whole lot larger than the second one...

(Sorry, I'm kidding. Tired. Should go to sleep...)

Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #26
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

I think in one of your earlier posts you mentioned "The Joy of Cooking". They have an apple and onion stuffing recipe in there. This is what I use to stuff my pork loins when I make them.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Corn it with ruhlman's recipe then finish like pastrami with a crust of pepper and corriander on the smoker to an internal of 165. Porkstrami!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbramm View Post
Corn it with ruhlman's recipe then finish like pastrami with a crust of pepper and corriander on the smoker to an internal of 165. Porkstrami!
Trying to imagine what porkstrami tastes like. I make my own homemade beef pastrami which is delicious.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #29
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Trying to imagine what porkstrami tastes like. I make my own homemade beef pastrami which is delicious.

I've done porkstrami before and it is wonderful. Think the texture of ham but full pastrami flavor. I like it as it is leaner than beef. Give it a try!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I slice thin pieces, about 1/2" thick, pound them flat, bread them with panko and deep fry them. They go great with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes.

WINNER! I know this is a BBQ forum but sheesh, schnitzel is the super ultra bomb diggety! Schnitzel sandwiches, oh my, hot crispy juicy pork against cold lettuce and tomato and house made half sour pickles in good bread.... I'm getting light headed.

Because I desperately need to lose weight, I even like to pound the slices to 1/4" and throw them on the griddle for just a minute or two, simply seasoned and it seems to be better than just boneless loin chops grilled.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote