• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tent anchors

KB BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
What's your preferred method of anchoring down a typical 10'X10' pop up tent in order to keep it from becoming a kite on a windy day? :doh:

Ratchet strap to my trailer and truck. And then a ratchet strap to something else sturdy on the other side, if possible.

If we are on concrete/asphalt, I will sometimes throw in some TapCons while the organizers aren't looking :wink:

When I was racing I never used pop-ups because they were too small. I set up a 16 x 24' tarp with 8' 1/2" EMT poles at the four corners plus a ridgepole across the center with two more EMT poles. I guyed each pole with nylon cord and used big spike nails from HomeDepot for stakes. They worked fine and didn't take a lot of space.

At competitions we have found that ratchet straps in each corner attached to a 5 gallon bucket of water will survive almost anything. Last month, we used that set up and 4 tents around us were sent skyward, and ours never moved. It is also easy to transport empty buckets, since each comp has water.

5 gallon buckets with water here as well. I tie them to the corners of our tent with parachute cord. never had them budge and they been in some rough conditions.

We use two 10x10s.
The sides facing the trailer get ratchet strapped to the trailer/stabilizer jacks and the far sides get strapped to 5 gallon buckets of water.

I will also vouch for how well 5 gal buckets in each corner works. Spent 2 days is constant 30 mph wind in SD. Got scary a few times but stood up to it the entire weekend. Never seen wind so steady for so long

we bought some small buckets from Lowes and filled with concrete and a hook. Heavier to move than the empty buckets, but it works well, isn't too heavy, and doesn't attract mosquitoes.

+1 for the 5 gallon buckets, we use the kind with the lids and just tie with para chord to the handles.

EZ Up sells sets of sand bags (empty of course) that I use on concrete/asphalt, one on each corner. When I use two canopies, I place one bag on each of the adjoining corners and the other two on the corners closest to the direction of the wind. I also use these sandbags to secure items inside the my van in transit. Saves needing to strap/tie everything down. If I'm on grass, I use metal stakes and hammer them into the ground.

Ratchet strap to my trailer and truck. And then a ratchet strap to something else sturdy on the other side, if possible.

If we are on concrete/asphalt, I will sometimes throw in some TapCons while the organizers aren't looking :wink:

In almost all cases, that will get your arse sent home with no refund, and rightfully so.
Ed

In almost all cases, that will get your arse sent home with no refund, and rightfully so.
Ed

i am pretty sure he was joking about the tapcons. He probably uses railroad spikes instead.

On another note:

I wouldn't recommend using the wire handles as tie down points, drill a hole in the bucket right below the rim. When we are expecting high winds I use two holes on the bucket 180 degree's from each other and just run a loop through both of those holes.

I actually take the handles off my buckets to make them easier to stack and get apart. I don't have to worry about the handles tangling with each other.

I use tie down straps on each of the cooler handles. One large cooler on each side when filled weighs plenty to hold them down and if you extend the tie downs at angle it doesn't get in the way of opening.

We liked buckets so much we still have a stack in our toy hauler for some reason, even though we no longer use a tent. :becky:

Back