Terra cotta basins for WSM bowl

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Some folks have suggested getting a terra cotta basin to set inside my water bowl on my WSM. Where would I locate one?

Thanks!

For what reason, to absorb some of the heat?

You could use the water basin from terracotta plant pots. They have them at home depot.

Lots of people make smokers out of these pots. Some times clay ovens for pizza and even tandoori ovens.

I put the terra cotta saucer in my water pan, wrap the whole thing in foil and IMHO is the best way to use the WSM. I've used water and sand too, but the saucer works the best.

it shouldn't have lead in them but some slips through the system

it shouldn't have lead in them but some slips through the system
icon_confused.gif

They work well... as BBQ Grail stated, wrap it all up!
EZ clean-up.

I did my first year with my WSM with water, but after using this site I bought a clay sauce at Lowes for $5, best money I ever spent. Clean up is easier, you use less fuel, and it is easier to stabilize temps.

I would think you could find one at Stein's year round... HD and Lowes might not have them out this time of year.

I put the terra cotta saucer in my water pan, wrap the whole thing in foil and IMHO is the best way to use the WSM. I've used water and sand too, but the saucer works the best.

Do the same but I wrap the water pan, then the terra cotta pot, and place the pot inside the pan and put foil on top of that....
Works great :thumb:

Any hardware store with a garden center should have one. I found mine at my local Orchard Supply Hardware (a west coast thing I think). Way better than water in the pan.

Do the same but I wrap the water pan, then the terra cotta pot, and place the pot inside the pan and put foil on top of that....
Works great :thumb:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto that! Only need to replace the outside layer between cooks. I noticed the one I use in our 22.5 cracked a while back. Besides making it a little trickier to wrap it, doesn't seem to have had any effect on how it works

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto that! Only need to replace the outside layer between cooks. I noticed the one I use in our 22.5 cracked a while back. Besides making it a little trickier to wrap it, doesn't seem to have had any effect on how it works

Don't mean to hijack, but what diameter clay saucer are you using on the 22.5?

Back