MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default First time MOINK baller for World MOINK Ball Day

In honor of World MOINK Ball Day 2010, I decided this was a great time to make my first MOINK Balls.

For my first MOINK balls, I started with the cheap store brand frozen meatballs and bacon since it was on sale when I went to the store last week. These things are so darn simple, I don't think you could possibly make bad MOINK balls, so the store brand would suit me just fine. The store brand bacon wasn't the best and it tended to stretch real far when I pulled it out, so I cut each piece into 3rds, wrapped a 1/3 slice around the meatball and skewered with a toothpick. Then I dusted each side with some of my homemade pork rub.

The Moinks went on the smoker at 250* along with a pot of baked beans and fatty down below. It would be a shame to let all the space on my smoker go to waste without at least throwing on some other meat. In fact, prior to that I had thrown a pork shoulder on at midnight the previous night, so my smoker had already been going 13 hours strong at this point. Add to that, this was the maiden voyage for my new toy, a Stoker. I can't wait to really put that baby to the test at our next competition in August. Until then, we will become "intimate" with each other I should be real comfortable with the Stoker by then.

After about 2 hours on the smoker, I gave each of the MOINKs a quick dip in some Ole Ray's Kentuckey Red Bourbon BBQ Sauce.

Let the sauce set for about 20 minutes and then into a bowl for serving.

All in all the MOINKs were well received by family and friends and luckily they didn't eat them all so I had some left-overs. And in case your wondering, cold MOINK balls are really great for breakfast, too.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice job!

Left over MOINK balls? Never heard of them

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
whodeyQ
Full Fledged Farker

Those are some good lookin MOINKS

Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you sure that was your first time? Those were some fantastic looking MOINK Balls!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nice job!

Left over MOINK balls? Never heard of them
Yeah, they're gone now, but I made so much other stuff we couldnt get it all eaten
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

BuPhul!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks 100 times better than my first try did. Great job!!

PS - I understood the idea behind MOINK Balls was to use the cheap frozen meatballs and cheap bacon, so you done good. The expensive meatballs and bacon are tweaks, as I understand it anyway.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote