• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maple pulled pork

Coach_Mac

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone done a maple syrup rubed boston butt? Is injecting with thinned out syrup too much? If you have any experience with it, I'd love to know what you did.

Good question. In the past I'd used it in my sauce, and it was a good sauce...

I'll be looking to see if there are answers.

Otherwise, this is a BUMP.

I have used maple syrup as the sweet base for a brine and that works well. I have also used it as a glaze. But as a rub I wouldn't worry about the maple syrup burning as much as I would sealing out the smoke, resulting in very little smoke penetration.

Redheart
Acworth, GA

I see your from Texas but living in Vermont, you are who I need to answer this! I got this idea from a place in Vermont

I use a maple syrup in my glazes but wait until that last thirty minutes or so to apply it. Also use it in many of my BBQ sauces. Never have injected anything so no experience there.

From where in Vermont did you get the idea? I can check it out.

I have used maple sugar in glazes and marinades, it adds up fast. I would also suggest that you check out maple sugar, it is a nice flavor, easier to control volume, less subject to water content variation and can be added to the rub as well.

From where in Vermont did you get the idea? I can check it out.

I saw it on the food network and I wish I could remember the name of the place. I only caught part of the show but remember thinking that looked real good. I'm pretty sure this is not it but on searching for it I ran across this place. Ever been? http://www.adamsfamilyfarm.com/tour-buses.html

Also, I would love it if some of yall would pm me any maple glaze or sauce recipes you have.

And ricksegers, what did you thin the syrup with?

I saw it on the food network and I wish I could remember the name of the place. I only caught part of the show but remember thinking that looked real good. I'm pretty sure this is not it but on searching for it I ran across this place. Ever been? http://www.adamsfamilyfarm.com/tour-buses.html

Also, I would love it if some of yall would pm me any maple glaze or sauce recipes you have.

And ricksegers, what did you thin the syrup with?

Wilmington is a couple of hours south of me so I am not familiar with the Adams Farm. If I do get down that way I will check them out and see what I can find out about maple rubbed or injected pork.

For my spare rib glaze I use equal part fancy grade maple syrup and Sweet Baby Ray's with several dashes of Texas Pete's hot sauce.

I use apple juice to thin out sauces and glazes when needed. Apple juice is the chicken broth of barbecue.

I injected some thinned maple syrup in the butts I did last weekend they were good but I couldn't tell much difference between them and the ones I injected with apple juice the week before.

i've never done maple on butts but the amish have a great pecan syrup i've used in my bacon brine & smoked over 'skeet & pecan wood. good stuff. i'll have to try it on butts.

Back