Business Plan for BBQ Concession Trailer

BBQ Nuts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anybody share a biz plan for a concession trailer. Would like to see if we're thinking of everything. We have a site so it will be a fixed location.

Thanks in advance.

May i ask why a biz plan?

Most trailer guys just go for it. NO way to predict how biz may go if your in a bad area or your food just doesnt cut it.

pay attention to the health permits...make everthing easy to clean...make it bright..watch you flow patterns..set up for one person to work..then busy days you will have 3 people jamned in a small area..good luck..

We have been open for 3 weeks now. It took 3 different locations to finally get one that works. We even moved 100 feet the last time and business doubled. It took us 3 months to build the trailer a 24 foot with a 7 foot porch, inside we have two 40 lb fryers, a 36" flat top, a hatco 3 drawer warmer, a refridgerated sandwich prep station, and a freezer. We have a 48"w X 36"d X 72"h cabinet style smoker on the back porch. We also had to rent a restaurant for a commisary. It was slow getting started but now we are selling out every day. Best advise I could give with my lack of exrerience myself is don't try to move around to much at first, we have been at this last place for 2 weeks. The best sign you can have is lots of smoke rolling out of your smoker, even if you ain't cooking anything.

We didn't have much of a business plan just kinda fly by your pants, we had a lot of help from the girls at the health dept. They even helped us secure a varience on our cooker that was not NSF approved. We are still struggling with how much food to cook, we are cooking 2 cases of butts for tomorrow and 1/2 a case of chicken.

Try not to have much on the menu, the first couple of days we tried to do hamburgers and hot dogs and didn't sell but about 3 each. Now we only have bbq sandwiches, bbqq plates,and, chicken plates. We also do hand cut fries they are a lot better and about 1/2 the price of frozen.

Thanks, Jeff Therrell
Sweetfire BBQ
Lincolnton NC
828-493-5056

Maybe a bit late to the post but I just had my 1st meeting with health dept. yesterday to discuss my Non-Profit Food Truck, Concession Trailer, Catering and got all the answers I needed to start. Was told "It's all about the menu"! Build the rig based upon the Q and sides your cooking, the volume your selling and goal you need to meet financially everytime your open!
My "Q-Truck" is my commissary so it needed the ability to store, prep, cook and sell day to day. Water, # of sinks and waste storage/disposal is huge. Power to sustain refridgeration without a lot of exhaust and noise was another consideration!
Because I am choosing 2 FEC 120s for the truck (for cooking, as a conventional oven and as a holding/warming cabinet) I am able to use a Meadowcreek TS 500 and BBQ42 cookers in the trailer for large events and get by the NSF rule!
The truck can serve 300-500 "meals" a day and the trailer can get me to 1200-1500 if I need to! And it's all for a bunch of great Charities (I get to make a living too)
Mike

Back