Boy Scout Thanksgiving dinner, Scout style!

speedrcer1

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi All,
We did our annual Boy scout Thanksgiving dinner. We started doing this about 4 years ago.
We cook the turkeys on a wooden spike driven into the ground after the ground is covered in aluminum foil. The spike is wrapped in foil and a can is placed on top of the spike to prevent the turkey from falling.
The turkey is then covered with a tin garbage can. (no galvanized hijacks please) Charcoal is then placed around and on top of the cans.
90 Mins later, (yes, 90 mins) They are done.
This year we did 4. We have had to do 8 one year.
These came out good. Real good.

Thanks for looking!
:thumb:
1.jpg
Me trying to keep my thumbs to do :thumb:
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Proud Scoutmaster
10.jpg
11.jpg
Good group of boys.
12.jpg

I've never seen a turkey cooked that way. Looks tasty.

Me neither but it looks like they had a blast doing it. When I was a scout, cooking on the camp fire was always my favorite thing to do. At Philmont, I remember one of the boys killed a chimpmunk with a rock. We skinned it an put on a spit:becky: Nothing was safe. Trailpacks were my favorite. We would cube beef and add in onions, potatoes, salt and pepper and wrap up tight in tin foil (yep it was tin back then). Then we would bury them in the coals and let them cook.

Come to think of it, my first whole hog was through scouts. My scout master had hogs and his son invited me over to his farm and we dispatched it, scalded it and brushed the hair off (what a mess), and cleaned it. We then put it on the pit that night and started it smoking. The next day the whole troop came by for a feast.

I loved the Boy Scouts growing up. I ended up having 4 daughters so I didn't get go through it with them. I did teach them how to survive outdoors and at least one of them knows how use a smoker though.

Thanks for sharing Don. The turkeys look great!
Cooking was always my favorite part of Boy Scouts. Still do the foil dinners every now and then just for kicks.:-D

Great post Don, thanks for sharing.
I have great memories of my scouting days and always enjoyed the cooking outdoors.
This turkey technique is a new one on me as well but it sure looked like everyone was having a great time.

Why waste the foil on the ground outside of the cans? Al can't stand the heat and just burns up.

And I have seen food cooked like this.

Back