• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Floor Ideas?

Rub

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm building a 15'x15' outdoor covered smoker/grill area. I'm trying to decide what would make a good floor for it, considering grease and ash spills. I'm thinking about framing in the base and laying in about 4" of small gravel. Not flamable, hides stains. Anyone use something else or have better ideas? TIA.

I'm building a 15'x15' outdoor covered smoker/grill area. I'm trying to decide what would make a good floor for it, considering grease and ash spills. I'm thinking about framing in the base and laying in about 4" of small gravel. Not flamable, hides stains. Anyone use something else or have better ideas? TIA.

I laid down a bunch of decomposed granite this last summer, and it is awesome. It is a hard surface, doesn't stick to your shoes, looks good, lets water pass through, and stays put. I did a big area 4-inches deep for 200 bucks.

And, you can fix a grease stain in minutes with a rake.

Check it out.

CD

Trying to avoid concrete for now, shows stains too easily plus I'd have to get a pump for it.

Will have to look around for decomposed granite...but where?

Edit: OK found it, sounds real good. Thanks!

What about crushed sea shells? That medium should be plentiful in FL.

Trying to avoid concrete for now, shows stains too easily plus I'd have to get a pump for it.

Will have to look around for decomposed granite...but where?

Edit: OK found it, sounds real good. Thanks!

No need for a pump, Get you a wheel barrow. And if you seal it, it will be much more resistant to staining.

How about pavers?

Crush and run works for me. I layed down newspaper first so the grass/weeds don't poke through. I really like not having to worry about grease spots as I would if it were concrete or pavers.

Couldn't find a source for decomposed granite nearby. Ended up with shell which I am liking a lot, plus it's cheap at $38 a square yard. Unfortunately I'm a couple of yards short, will fix it Monday. Thanks for the help!

575944_4462274914871_1663735676_n.jpg

479861_4462274954872_218557036_n.jpg

I like the looks of the structure you built. Is that a "kit"? I am in need of something similar and that fits the bill for me !

Nice looking shelter!! Can't wait to see pics after you have it completely finished. I need something like that as well.

I like the looks of the structure you built. Is that a "kit"? I am in need of something similar and that fits the bill for me !

Thanks guys. It's not a kit. Here in FL we have to deal with tornadoes and hurricanes - we just finished recovering from a June tornado. I had an architect friend draw this up so it would be more likely to handle some winds.

Back