The "right" type of smoke

O

OrleansAg

(sorry no pics)

In a smoke this weekend, I did some pork ribs after a quick salmon smoke. During the latter part of the rib smoke and before I added a turkey breast (for a neighbor since the smoker was hot)...I added some additional briquets. I don't have the specific brand, but they say natural, no filler, etc. I added them unlit to keep the temp going. After I pulled the ribs and the turkey breast it seemed like the outsides were covered with more black smoke residue and had a "creosotey" flavor/taste vs wood smoke. The meat inside was much better.

My questions are 1) does that make sense or is that normal for smoking and 2) if it's an issue is it because I put unlit briquets in and when they started up they released "bad smoke." The folks at BWS recommended natural briquets vs. lump...just not kingsford.

Thanks for any thoughts to help me keep dialing it in.

What was the color of the some that was coming out of the smoker? White or thin with a blue tint?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
try using K blue bag.
Could the charcoal or wood have been damp?

It is likely that you added enough cold briquettes, that they intially threw off some poor smoke. You want to manage your fire so that you are never adding a lot of additional cold fuel mid-cook. Adding a little bit, more often is best.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it was damp or wet, it was just out the bag.

The smoke was white. When I start the fire I've been using two starter cubes in the back corner under the briquets and then letting the fire work it's way over. I add wood a little to the sides of where I light it. Should I wait until the smoke is thin blue, then add wood, then add meat?

I didn't want to let it burn almost out before I added more, but I certainly didn't trickle it in. I added a healthy couple of scoops. I dial it back and add more often if needed, since the BWS comes back to temp pretty easily.

If the fire is moving radially out from where is started, where's the best place to add more? Where it started, since it's "moved on" from that point?

Right. But it's white because I added too many unlit briquets? Are there other common causes...

It is likely that you added enough cold briquettes, that they intially threw off some poor smoke. You want to manage your fire so that you are never adding a lot of additional cold fuel mid-cook. Adding a little bit, more often is best.

^ +1 Like Landarc says, manage your fire so it is consistent... You can also preheat the briquettes by placing on top of the firebox (or cooker).

If I am adding to an already lit fire, I try to add away from the lit coals and then add a few unlit on top of the your lit pile. This give the new coals a chance to "warm up" and will light easier.

Right. But it's white because I added too many unlit briquets? Are there other common causes...

The cause is that the coals are taking too long to light. As mentioned above, preheating helps prevent the white smoke. Wood that is too wet can cause white smoke and the creosote taste.

I'm sure this is a heavily debated topic, but does lump generally burn cleaner? Again the BWS guys said they use briquets. So that is what I used.

Lump has zero fillers, so it will burn cleaner yes, which means less ash.
Personally I only use lump when I'm grilling, I use briquettes when I'm smoking, unless it's in my COS then it's wood splits.

Biggest thing is making sure whatever you're putting in has a chance to 'preheat' in whatever fashion you choose, either lighting it up in a charcoal chimney, putting them to the far side of the lit coals allowing them to heat up from radiance before being ignited. Basically the longer it takes to fully ignite the more it'll smolder and the longer your meat is exposed to 'bad smoke.'

I wonder why the BWS guys don't recommend using Kingsford. A lot of folks on here use it including myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never use briqs..too much ash and filler..loss of flavor also...Just my opinion...lump with split wood...or chunks..

I wonder why the BWS guys don't recommend using Kingsford. A lot of folks on here use it including myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsford is all I ever used.....for years. It's always been consistent for me.

I'd always wait until late June when Home Depot and Lowe's have excellent prices on the 20lb bags. I'd buy 20+ bags and stack it up in my garage.

My offset CharGriller did well with it. I have noticed a change in smoke color whenever I add new briquettes to dwindling coals. I just never knew how to avoid it other than doing an initial burn in an outside fire pit and transferring the hot coals to the offset box.

Now, I'm just lazy....and addicted to kamado cooking.

Thanks guys, this has been a helpful thread for me to keep tweaking my fire technique. Appreciate it.

Lump charcoal does burn cleaner, once it is lit. But, if you put cold lump into a fire, it will also throw bad smoke initially. The key, as already stated, fire management for a consistent fire and preheating the coals. When I am doing a cook in my kettle, I preheat the charcoal in my chimney, I just light up a chimney filled with what I think I will need, fire off a few briquettes with a torch or paper and let it heat up and offgas. Works fine.

It's easy to have a chimney of Lump to start before you need to add.

I heat my splits for my Offset before I toss them on the fire too. They catch fire easier, and give less bad smoke.

Here is my best help...

Picture684.jpg

Picture688.jpg

Ready

Picture689.jpg

Now if you are cooking a greasy meat like Chicken, White Smoke will be okay as it is the Grease burning off.

Back