• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is it OK for chicken to fall off the bone?

L

LoveBBQ

I was just eating leftovers from a cook yesterday and wondered...

Ribs are not supposed to be "fall off the bone tender", but what about chicken?

Last night I cooked a whole chicken on my fairly new UDS. Before building my UDS we always used our little Sunbeam electric rotisserie. They always turned out really good so we never thought of doing it another way. But I told my wife I wanted to cook it on the grill over some charcoal.

I loaded up some about half a chimney and got the fire going. Plan was to cook indirect at about 350* then move to direct to crisp up the skin. I fought to get the temps up and stay for some reason, they would keep dropping to 300-325. Still have some learning to do! But the chicken was progressing so I let it roll. When the breast hit 145* I moved it over the coals, breast side up for a few minutes, before flipping breast side down. Pulled the chicken at 160* and let rest for about 10 minutes.

When I went to carve the chicken I could see pockets of juice under the skin. The leg quarters pulled off at the joints, the wings did too. I cut the entire breast off of each side. I took a wing and leg quarter, gave the wife a breast and cut part of the second breast up for the kids. The chicken was the BEST we have ever had!!! So juicy, tender, and full of flavor. Rub consisted of Lawrys, garlic salt, kosher salt and pepper. Super simple and thrown together. I was so worried about cooking it for the first time this way that I didn't bother with pics. :doh: As I was eating the wing and leg quarter the bones would just peel right out, leaving me with hunks of meat and skin to devour! Finger lickin' good for sure!

So I ask again, should chicken be served "fall off the bone" I certainly think so!

I would say that ribs should be however you like them. If you're cooking for competition, then the judges are looking for some pull. I prefer my meat to be a bit more firm, but I have found that most people want their ribs to fall off the bone.

It sounds to me like you nailed that chicken. I think there could be some presentation issues with sloppy meat, but that's probably more than made up for by the result. I'd go without whatever you like and not with what the BBQ establishment thinks you should like.

I would say that ribs should be however you like them. If you're cooking for competition, then the judges are looking for some pull. I prefer my meat to be a bit more firm, but I have found that most people want their ribs to fall off the bone.

It sounds to me like you nailed that chicken. I think there could be some presentation issues with sloppy meat, but that's probably more than made up for by the result. I'd go without whatever you like and not with what the BBQ establishment thinks you should like.

this...:thumb:

unless you are cooking to get paid, its what you like that counts.

my uds is a chicken cooking machine. it always falls apart on me, which makes it easier to eat.
I am trying to figure out how you go from indirect to direct heat on your uds though? isn't it always direct?

Never let someone tell you how your BBQ should be, cook it the way you and your family like it :thumb:

Sounds great to me. I like it that way.

As others have said--cook for you, your family, and guests any way you want.

TIM

I agree with everyone here. As a side note, I much prefer chicken when it falls off the bone. Some conversion of connective tissue to gelatin, maybe.

Never let someone tell you how your BBQ should be, cook it the way you and your family like it :thumb:

100% right.

You will get a lot of opinions on here telling you what ribs/chicken/beef should be but in reality - cook it the way you like it.

Sounds like you made kick ass chicken. Good job!

Thanks all!

my uds is a chicken cooking machine. it always falls apart on me, which makes it easier to eat.
I am trying to figure out how you go from indirect to direct heat on your uds though? isn't it always direct?
I can raise the charcoal basket on my UDS to be about 6 inches below the top grate. I then put coals on one side of it and the food on the other.

Hard to see by this pic but the basket hangs from the top grate bolts and my basket gets inverted.

original.jpg

Versus having the basket sit on the bottom during smoking.

original.jpg

That's a cool set-up on the UDS.....and chicken fallin off the bone is fine as long as it's fallin into your chicken hole....:laugh::laugh:

I like my ribs to have a little pull, but come clean off the bone when I apply that pull. That's just the way I like it.

When it comes to chicken, fall off the bone tender is awesome, IMO. So, you can serve me a plate of that fall off the bone chicken any time. :thumb:

CD

Sure sounds good to me! I like it when I can part out a chicken after the cook by just pulling the joints apart with minimal knife work!

As long as it wasn't too dry for you, I'd call that perfect!

Sure sounds good to me! I like it when I can part out a chicken after the cook by just pulling the joints apart with minimal knife work!

As long as it wasn't too dry for you, I'd call that perfect!
It wasn't dry at all! Every bite was very juicy!

Back