Grilled Chicken

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had some leg qtrs and boneless / skinless thighs to cook yesterday and decided to grill em for a change and use my lil Portable Kitchen. It was the first time I ever bought blsl thighs and dam, I was happy with em. anywho, both the qtrs and thighs came out so good it got me to wondering if anyone scores well in contest with a grilling method??? my cooker was hot and I cooked over a drip pan indirect until they reached about 140 internal and then put em directly over the flame just a min at most to cook the skin a lil, then back over on the indirect side. I didn't want any sauce anything but wondered about how those thighs might do in a contest if they had been sauced. I've read some comments about getting skin off some breast or just boning the thighs yourself and using the skin, but since some judges don't care for the skin anyway it looks like these blsl might work if you could make em hold their shape and I think you could if you used a screen to cook on and move em back and forth on. As a side note, these blsl thighs are going to make some awesome tacos, nachos, etc.
IMG_1222.jpg

They might make some awesome tacos, nachos, etc., but I doubt that chicken would do well in a compitition.

The reason is your skin is burnt and hard. The judges are basically looking for a soft, bite-through skin. :thumb:

The reason is your skin is burnt and hard. The judges are basically looking for a soft, bite-through skin. :thumb:

Your not reading that right bro. I didn't think anything about comp chick till AFTER I cooked that chicken. That was just cooked on account of I was hungry and wanted to grill something.

I assumed we were talking about comp chicken because you are in the Competition Forum and you said, "wondered about how those thighs might do in a contest if they had been sauced" in your post. Sorry if I read you wrong.

GD, You have a Backwoods Smoker, Trim them, Rub them, Hot tub them, and be happy! :-D

Winter%20Burn%20Off%20(110).JPG

Last edited:
Back