Sinks in a comp rig

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been talking with James at Extreme BBQ Trailers and I think I am close to being able to affoard a trailer without the sinks and tanks etc. I would need to add sinks in the coming years and will probably just use laundry style sinks for the time being. (you know, the deep plastics ones you can get for around $30.)

For those of you with sinks in your units, what's the bear minimum that you think is necessary to operate efficiently? Is there a good middle ground between laundry style tubs with drains leading into buckets and the full-on sink units that cost around $5000? Or would you recommend saving for the full monty?

I'd also check out some used restaurant places. They always have 2 or 3 compartment stainless sinks. A lot less than having to buy a new one... If it was me, I get something deep though. Makes washing trays or hotel pans that much easier...

How about things like gray water and fresh water tanks, heaters, pumps etc? Are these things absolute necessities?

There are two compartment SS sinks out there
Used at reasonable prices due to the 3 compartment requirements
I picked one up for $100 at a scrap yard

I think you should think about long term use. If you cater you will want deep submergible sinks but also work with the health department to get certified. You can use bus tubs for now if you need. Think moving lots of grey water would be a pain after a while.

There are a couple places here in Des Moines that sell used equipment including sinks. Bolton and Hey and Hockenbergs plus Craigs List. Keep your eyes open and can probably get a great deal. Boondoggle might also still have some stuff for sale too.

3 compartment with hot and cold water is THE BOMB. I couldnt live without it now that I have it. That and the fridge. And the pellet pit. And the small pellet grill for thighs. And the....And the....And the....

Ever own a boat? Same deal. The guy in the old rowboat may catch as many fish, but it's way cooler in a 20' Ranger with a 200hp Yamaha, and a lot easier.

How about things like gray water and fresh water tanks, heaters, pumps etc? Are these things absolute necessities?

Most of my customers plan on vending/catering when they make their purchase. By doing so the plumbing (sinks, some require drainboards) has to be HD compliant meaning NSF. This is what drives the cost of options up.

Equippers.com normally has some pretty good deals on sinks if you choose to do it yourself.

Damn Nate, I had a stainless 3 bay sink I would have practically given you a few weeks ago. Check Craigslist as I see them on there regularly in our area.

There's a big advantage to getting the tanks installed at the factory along with plumbing lines thru the floor to where you will eventually put the sinks. There's also a big plus if adding an RV style gas hot water heater. Personally I'd hold out until you can do this unless it's going to be years. And you won't be HD compliant until you have this plus the 3 bay and hand sink. Sinks can be picked up used for a reasonable price. And the hot water heater must supply enough water with an acceptable refresh rate to pass HD inspection. I'd recommend a 10 gal propane hot water heater.

Knowing you Nate ... you aint going to be happy unless you have it all. I dont know how long you are talking but I'd hold out for the RV sinks and tanks. Just to easy to fill and dump with proper hookups. Plus added resale when you go to the next size up trailer.

On the sink, I have alsways wanted one large sink. Then should we ever want to cater, never for me, We will make an insert with 3 bays to fit inside the one large sink.

I hope this new trailer will have a glass case to display the chicken whiskey!

I hope this new trailer will have a glass case to display the chicken whiskey!

It will have to display the next bottle (or should I say bottles) that I win from you:boxing:The one from Ames is long gone! :thumb:

Yeah, I think I need to wait until I have all the jack in place and just get what I know I'll want. That will just take another season and I want it now! :doh:

Boondoggle might also still have some stuff for sale too.

Our stainless is gone, but I do have a 24' Haulmark Carhauler I'd love to sell you. :twitch:

Now that you've heard all the pros to a nice big 3 bay stainless sink, let me share the downside - THEY ARE HEAVY

Things to think about before you have a trailer built:
- what's the trailer weigh
- what's your equipment weigh
- what do the appliances weigh
- what's the weight of the water (8.34 lbs per gallon)
- then don't forget to add 15-20% to your estimated weight to get closer to actual weight
- do I have enough muscle to pull the beast

If you're thinking of a full blown licensed kitchen on wheels, leave room in the budget for a diesel unless you're looking for a shiny backyard ornament.

BTW, not trying to rain on your parade ... just wishing I would have fully realized all of the above before I was up to my elbows in stainless and towing 4 tons behind a Hemi. Sure, that Hemi could tow it - but it was getting a workout and I felt like a bobblehead behind the wheel.

Our stainless is gone, but I do have a 24' Haulmark Carhauler I'd love to sell you. :twitch:

Now that you've heard all the pros to a nice big 3 bay stainless sink, let me share the downside - THEY ARE HEAVY

Things to think about before you have a trailer built:
- what's the trailer weigh
- what's your equipment weigh
- what do the appliances weigh
- what's the weight of the water (8.34 lbs per gallon)
- then don't forget to add 15-20% to your estimated weight to get closer to actual weight
- do I have enough muscle to pull the beast

If you're thinking of a full blown licensed kitchen on wheels, leave room in the budget for a diesel unless you're looking for a shiny backyard ornament.

We do offer full perimeter aluminum frames to help out with just this. Normally we can knock 900-1100 lbs off the total trailer weight before it's outfitted with the customers goods.

I've think sinks are priceless. I have them built out in my toy hauler - 40 gal of water tank, 36 gal gray (yes - I know it should be reversed...but money talks), on demand hot water heater.

There's a guy on ebay called tri-state rock your world (I think..) who sells the water and grey tanks CHEAP (I'm talking less than $100 for both). On demand hot water heaters are about $100.

Hot water alone is worth it's weight in gold on cold comp days.

Setting it all up is not a huge deal - have done 2 of them now - a shurflo pump, some plumbing fittings/hoses and the tanks/sinks and you're good to go.

BTW, not trying to rain on your parade ... just wishing I would have fully realized all of the above before I was up to my elbows in stainless and towing 4 tons behind a Hemi. Sure, that Hemi could tow it - but it was getting a workout and I felt like a bobblehead behind the wheel.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know!! It takes me a long time to pull the trigger on a big purchase - and usually by asking these kinds of questions I learn a LOT before I finally buy. Same thing happened when I was thinking about a Jambo. I asked a ton of questions for a long time and settled on an FEC. I'm glad I did - even if I did look like a choad for asking stupid questions all the time :redface:

There are never any stupid questions brother. Especially when it comes to rigs like this. A lot of people turn it into a business.

I picked up a small 3 comp sink with drainboards (required by my HD). It was pricey, but it's nice and compact. I'm running a small trailer and want to be able to cater out of it. I use disposable pans, so I just need to wash small wares. Your largest washable item needs to fit in the sink. I picked up a Shurflo pump, accumulator and an Excel tankless water heater.

We have a full size 3 bay sink we have used for both of our trailers.
Makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD with the hot water tap!!!!!

Takes so much of the workload out of the comp to be able to just wash stuff as you go.

We bought ours used for about $200.
No longer NSF due to repair welding done--but we do not vend/cater and really do not care.

Worth every penny!!!!

TIM

Back