MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How do you feel?

Ok this is a Question about how do you feel about comps that do not allow you to bring in your own booz be it beer or liquer. I.E. the comp in the Wi Dells. i am told thay are charging $18 dollers for a case of beer. am told that is there cost. i find that hard to belive.
Ok here are my thought 1st i am not competing in the dells i cant .. But i would have if i could have. But I dont think it is good to ask competetor to have to by your beer after all the other costs that thay ae putting out... and i have friends that are sponserd by brerys and part of there sponsership is giving out free beer to other competitors... and we are talking about a case of beer not a pallet...and i also know the red cup rules... but that is breaking there rules... it is a sticky wicket to be shure...

Auther note this is not a tread for fighting it is for your opinin and everyone has one... play nice... thanks folks

Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I think it's one of those things that they can't avoid. They have a license to protect, I believe they've said that.
To me it's real simple. If you have a problem with that don't go. If you are OK with it then go.
I'd probably buy their beer and go.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

$18 isn't any more than I'm paying at a store for a case so it doesn't sound like a profit reason. If it's to keep a competition sponsor happy and to protect future sponsorship, I understand why. Reality is that they will have a difficult time enforcing (unless they are checking all coolers, how would they?) - See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil = red cup

If the sponsor is not my brand of choice it's highly possible I'd pack my own along with some cups and go. I enjoy a few of my favorites at a comp while I get out to socialize, but I don't generally drink near as many on Friday night as I once did when I started competing. Thursday night might be another story.

Assuming the reason is sponsorship, I'd play happy and be happy that the comp existed.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 05-03-2010 at 04:30 PM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Not a problem for us, but then again they wouldn't be selling us beer either.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

I would rather discuss parting of pork
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I really don't drink much if any at all so it wouldn't bother me. However, I don't like the idea that I have to buy their beer. I don't know all of the details, but does it really matter if I'm drinking beer I brought from home or drinking beer they sold me? Drinking beer = drinking beer.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If their requirement is no beer, then you have to live with their rules. NOW if they didn't tell you before you signed up and they are only letting you know this after your check has cleared. I'd have a problem with that. Just as I would have a problem if they didn't tell you that you can't leave after rewards. If it is for the safety of the festival folks, then they need to make arrangements for those that have to get out, are able to pull out. Honestly, I would be more pissed about that, than the beer deal. I can understand the beer deal and them not knowing about the liquor license. But not knowing that teams can't pull out after rewards? There is no excuse for that...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I would pay 18 bucks per case of bottles all day long. One less thing to tote.

What would annoy me more would be the inability to bring a bottle of wine for Friday's Porterhouse dinner or a bottle of Jack for the evening/midnight/morning/turn-in time shot(s).
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
If their requirement is no beer, then you have to live with their rules. NOW if they didn't tell you before you signed up and they are only letting you know this after your check has cleared. I'd have a problem with that. Just as I would have a problem if they didn't tell you that you can't leave after rewards. If it is for the safety of the festival folks, then they need to make arrangements for those that have to get out, are able to pull out. Honestly, I would be more pissed about that, than the beer deal. I can understand the beer deal and them not knowing about the liquor license. But not knowing that teams can't pull out after rewards? There is no excuse for that...

thinkin of just drivin over em after turn ins if we do any good they can mail it

just Cloning around

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

It would be a problem for me so I probably would not cook that event. Mainly because I average about three to four beers for an entire contest these days and usually only a lucky shot with everyone on Saturday morning. If I had to buy a case of beer just to drink three or four, I'd probably pass.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with KC BOBBY, i'd pay $18 for a case and give that to any visiters and bring my own

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
This is my biggest issue. I can live without alcohol if i have to (barely ) and I can take a nap while waiting to leave, but not knowing this info before paying bothers me more than the issues.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Has anyone asked for their money back? What was the reply?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
mjl
On the road to being a farker

I just figure its not worth getting my panties in a wad over. Do I wish they had communicated more clearly regarding carry-ins and departure times? Yes. Would it have changed my feelings about attending? No. I am willing to write off the lack of communication as the tribulations of a first year organizer. While I can empathize with teams that have a longer commute, or were planning on entertaining guests/sponsors............there are still 10,000 plus reasons to be there.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl View Post
I just figure its not worth getting my panties in a wad over. Do I wish they had communicated more clearly regarding carry-ins and departure times? Yes. Would it have changed my feelings about attending? No. I am willing to write off the lack of communication as the tribulations of a first year organizer. While I can empathize with teams that have a longer commute, or were planning on entertaining guests/sponsors............there are still 10,000 plus reasons to be there.

Ya got a point ther brother

just Cloning around