Vortex = Too much fun!

frog13

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Another vortex run and I do believe I'm getting dialed in (not like it's difficult :bounce:).

Did two runs with one load of charcoal, first one was Hot Ass Whang wings and raspberry/cream cheese jalapenos. Second one was a recipe I saw on the ThunderDome Facebook page, chicken breast stuffed with broccoli, sweet peppers and pepper jack cheese. Sorry there is no finish pic on the jalapenos, those were gone before I even thought about grabbing the phone. :lol:

Raspberry in .....
IMG_0651.jpg

Cream cheese to top it off ....
IMG_0652.jpg

In they go .....
IMG_0653.jpg

Wing Time!
IMG_0654.jpg

Up close ...... love how that Vortex crisps up wings .....
IMG_0656.jpg

Stuffed breasts on .....
IMG_0657.jpg

Ready to wrap up for the day ..... Vortex was just starting to cool down .....
IMG_0659.jpg

Hi Don! The first step to NOT being rehabilitated is to admit your an addict. Welcome to the addiction. Now go out there and feed your addiction (and ours) by making more delicious looking meals like the ones you just posted! :thumb:

By they way, what size vortex do most people use in the 22.5 weber. I've read the small and medium can be used. I'm thinking medium if I get one. I'm very interested in one.

Yes I'm addicted too. :biggrin1:

By they way, what size vortex do most people use in the 22.5 weber. I've read the small and medium can be used. I'm thinking medium if I get one. I'm very interested in one.

Yes I'm addicted too. :biggrin1:
That's a medium in the pics, I too was curious and I got in touch with Rich at Mad Hunky Meats (Vortex reseller and great rubs), he steered me to the medium and I'm very happy.

That's it! Gonna get one!

Nice cook.

Btw, do you use the starter in your performer to get the coals going?

I made one by cutting down an old chimney starter and it works ok but I think I still need one of these too.

Downloaded and 4ead the instructions. It makes sense but seems a little pricey for a rolled piece of stainless.
Don't disagree if you have the means to acquire the material and create it yourself. Cold roll and a few pop rivets would work if you don't mind some rust, for me ....... buy it online, have it in two days, cook food. I have enough projects, in the end this is actually cheaper for me when you count my time.

That's it! Gonna get one!
Nice cook.
Btw, do you use the starter in your performer to get the coals going?

Sorry Lantern,
Missed the question ..........
I have a silver performer, no starter, but that will certainly work with the Vortex. I know others who do exactly that. I usually roll up a paper towel, put some veggie oil on it, set it in the vortex and cover with a layer of charcoal. I hit the paper with the torch, as soon as it lights I fill the Vortex the rest of the way with charcoal and it's burning pretty. Or, I use the chimney, depends on the mood. :-D

Back