MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Wife picked up a 12.25 lb behemoth, invited everyone she knew then told me I was cooking Prime Rib and Crab Legs. Covered with EVOO, S&P and a dash of Montreal, cooked at 225-240* for 3.5 hrs with pecan, pulled at 120* IT, rested about 40 mins, came up to about 132* while I fiddled with ginormous crab legs. I had planned a reverse sear but temp was good and crust was good so I skipped it. Everyone said it was my best one yet. My camera crew was less than perfect but here is what I have for pr0n. I really have to explain to the wife the importance of good pics to document the cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-25_11-20-45_308.jpg (106.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-25_11-42-08_571.jpg (70.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-25_16-33-17_891.jpg (62.5 KB, 119 views)
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Cooked at 200 degrees for 4.5 hours, until it hit 125 IT, then rested for 15 min.

Dusted with Oakridge Black Ops

Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

left out the one good pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-25_16-33-00_842.jpg (64.9 KB, 119 views)
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
Arlin_MacRae

We shoulda had a throwdown...wow

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Wampus

15 lb'er:

...but NO sliced pics .

The best I have is a pic of the aftermath:

Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
They all look great!!
Greg is this the aged hunka meat? If so, how did you like it compared to non aged? It looks fantastic!!
Thanks Jeanie!

Yes, it is the one I've been postiong the past couple weeks. As for taste, I haven't ever done a side by side compared to non aged, but I do think the beef flavor is more pronounced. I don't know if it affects tenderness at all, but the ones I've been doing have been really tender - but that could be because they're prime grade and cooked really slow (200). One thing I keep forgetting is there's no drippings with dry aged because the moisture is all gone - the roast is still as juicy as can be though. I keep forgetting to have some beef base handy for making the au jus, so next year, if I don't forget (fat chance) I need to make the au jus up ahead of time.

Love the pics y'all - keep 'em coming!

Hey Wamp - we're gonna see the ham you did at some point, yes?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post

Dusted with Oakridge Black Ops

Mmmmmmm.... Look at that crusty bark...

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
I was amazed with the bark that we got on our prime rib with your rub Mike. I have to admit, I stood there just peeling away little crunchy bits with fat while standing there carving. Luckily, I wasn't noticed doing this so it was MINE! ALL MINE!!!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post

Mike, it was off da hook!

The wifey evens wants to know where she can buy more of that rub.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Thanks Jeanie!

Yes, it is the one I've been postiong the past couple weeks. As for taste, I haven't ever done a side by side compared to non aged, but I do think the beef flavor is more pronounced. I don't know if it affects tenderness at all, but the ones I've been doing have been really tender - but that could be because they're prime grade and cooked really slow (200). One thing I keep forgetting is there's no drippings with dry aged because the moisture is all gone - the roast is still as juicy as can be though. I keep forgetting to have some beef base handy for making the au jus, so next year, if I don't forget (fat chance) I need to make the au jus up ahead of time.

Love the pics y'all - keep 'em coming!

Hey Wamp - we're gonna see the ham you did at some point, yes?
Greg Thanks!
I caught your first posts about aging and wondered if this was the same roast. Thanks for the info....hadn't thought about the lack of juice for au jus issue, good to know!
Hope to copy your method in the future. Looks delicious!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I have not posted BBQ pron in some time!! What better time than now!!

Rubbed the 5lber with punch ya daddy rub and some extra black pepper... Reverse seared at 225-250 to 115, cranked up both charcoal baskets to nuclear, seared for maybe 10 minutes. Came out GREAT!! In hindsight I need waay more charcoal cause nuclear is not nuclear enough, and need more rub for better bark. Still tasty! Pomme lambic went great with the meal too...

Done searing

Plated
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Arlin_MacRae

TIMMAY!! That's a purty plate, brother. Man... People behind me here at work are drooling on my shoulder. ;)
You know, I never would have thought about pairing an apple lambic beer with that, but the taste buds in my brain tell me it would work. Thanks!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote