MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Auckland New Zealand Brethren in New Jersey

A couple years ago BBQ-Brethren Longwayfromhome flew to the states for a family visit. We tried to make plans to meet at that time, but our schedules just didn't allow our free time to interlock. Sadly we were unable to connect and all we could hope for, were better circumstances at another future point in time.

Over the years we enjoyed each others posts and at times, we kept a casual conversation in threads to keep the common bond of BBQ as a grounding point.

Fast forward in time: Longwayfromhome came to visit family this year, we had made plans to have lunch, but family gatherings had a small change in plans and our lunch together was put on hold.

We rescheduled for lunch today, and everything seemed to be in the works. We made plans to meet at my friends home so I could show BBQ-Brethren "Longwayfromhome" my friends Behemoth commercial trailer with two "Ole Hickory" smokers, walk-in refer box, and a set of tandem Blodgett holding ovens.

I left for a doctor's appointment at 7:00 AM and I was out of the communications loop due to the fact that I don't load applications on my phone, except what is needed to connect with our security communications equipment for work. No e-mail, no social media, and no messenger. All I could hope, is that everything would go according to our plans.

I completed my physicians visit and I then had to run to the supply house to pick a couple special order parts to complete a job next week. I glanced at the time and it was already 10:30 and our meeting was scheduled for 11:00. I scooted over to my friends home, just moments before our New Zealand BBQ-Brethren arrived.

I finally had that moment in time that presented the opportunity to meet "Longwayfromhome" and his brother-in-law. They checked out the equipment, took a couple of pictures, and then we headed out for conversation to strengthen NZ / US goodwill BBQ relations.

We headed to Whole Hog Cafe in Medford, NJ as our rendezvous point for some conversation over a BBQ lunch. We ordered the "ultimate platter" and the food was really good. But more importantly; Today I made two new friends. I hope that at some point, fate will allow our paths to once again intersect with each other.

Longwayfromhome (Black Sheep BBQ)

I look forward to seeing Ralph and Terry again and continuing our wonderful conversations. I feel blessed to have met two wonderful people whom I consider to be my new friends. They even brought some candy from New Zealand for my wife and I. Thank You so much for the great conversation over lunch.

A big thanks to Phil for providing this forum where people with the common thread of BBQ can connect with one-another and create a lasting bond.

I believe Ralph and Terry were impressed with the set-up below that I took them to see.

Front of Cookers / Trailer

Service Side (Rear) of Cookers / Trailer
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Totally cool, thanks for the share.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Sorry I missed this, MadMan.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Thanks, Bob. Great share.

This continues to be an awesome place for further community building specifically because of you and Longwayfromhome.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great that you guys could hook up!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #6
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very Cool, well told story!!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
IamMadMan

I really enjoyed our conversations with Ralph and Terry. I was mesmerized by a story told by Ralph from his Father Reguarding World War II. Ralph had told me that the narrow channel between Australia's Cape York (Queensland) and New Guinea was not navigable by ships due to the shallow reefs that would tear a ship's hull apart like tinfoil. Ralph explained how his father told him about a channel that was cut through the reef to allow an American Aircraft Carrier to pass through the shallow reef to launch Doolittle's raid over Tokyo.

For those who do not know about this mission; I will take a moment to expound. The US had no allies or had any occupied territories to launch a bombing campaign from that could reach Japan. Thus, the first use of an aircraft carrier to launch a large bomber aircraft from was envisioned. Being this area was known to the Japanese to be impossible to navigate, so they concentrated their patrols further South and further West of this area. The channel, cut in secrecy, allowed a specially modified American Aircraft Carrier to pass through the strait. The Aircraft Carrier was specially modified to launch North American B-25 Mitchell Bombers for a surprise attack on Toyko, Japan. (This was the basis for the film, "30 Seconds over Tokyo"). This was America's first retaliatory air strike against Japan, just four months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

The pilots and crew members, known as Doolittle's Raiders, took this bombing mission knowing they would not be able to safely return in their aircraft. They were instructed to try and make the coast of China, without running out of fuel, where American patrols would look for them and rescue them. The bombing raid over Tokyo killed about 50 people and injured 400. Fifteen aircraft crashed, while the sixteenth successfully landed at Vladivostok in the Soviet Union. Of the total 80 crew members in the raid, 77 survived the mission, and three perished in these crash landings.

But the sixteenth plane that successfully landed in the Soviet Union, was seized by the Russian Military and the crew was held captive. They remained in Russia for almost a year until they were able to successfully escape through the area that is known as Iran today. Although the US Military contends that Lt Col. Jimmy Doolittle specifically had told the Raiders not to fly to Russia. Nolan Herndon was the navigator, bombardier, and gunner on that plane. To this day, Herndon believes that unbeknownst to him at the time, the plane was on a secret mission to test the Soviet Union's resolve as an ally. He says that pilot Edward York, and co-pilot Bob Emmens were under top secret orders that died with the two men after the war. Herndon says that the character of these two officers would never allow them to disobey an order in any manner, even if it meant self preservation. Although the Soviets contended that the crew was not held captive and they were free to go, they became known as "Guests of the Kremlin" after their successful escape.

The cutting of this channel was the anchor for a turning point in the war where Japan realized they were now vulnerable. This was truly one of the turning points in the conflict. From this successful mission came future campaigns which showed Japan that thew were now vulnerable in the war that they had declared.

Sorry to elaborate, but often we don't realize the commitment of our allies and the amount of effort they put forward to our cause and resolve. I'm honored to have met these two fine Gentlemen and I wish to thank Ralph for his Father's actions and service to support the United States Military effort. Ralph told me that the New Zealand Military Forces have supported the US in all conflicts in the pacific. They have the most military members per capita in our engagements, and consequently they also have the highest casualties per capita of all of the involved allied forces.

After our conversations Ralph presented my wife and I with some delightful culinary confections from his homeland; milk chocolate with kiwi fruit and milk chocolate with Manuka Honey Creme. We will indulge in these wonderful candies tonight, thank you for your kindness.

I also forgot to mention that after lunch was over, we walked out the door to Rita's (next door) to indulge in that delightfully creamy frozen French Custard, dolloped with fruity Italian Water Ice that lusciously melts in your mouth.

A perfect ending to a wonderful meeting as ambassadors of international BBQ between New Zealand and the United States. I have really enjoyed the many BBQ-Brethren international brotherhood I have been able to meet and converse with, it creates a common passion that we can all build upon to further the culinary delights throughout the world.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 09-28-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bob for the extensive writeup - I was most interested as to why a gent like you has the handle - 'IamMadMan' - goes to show the many sides each person has to their character, their many 'I's'!

Sorry to be so long in replying but I have been travelling since our few hours together, with no computer access ... to SanFran (we did make it to Jockos as well!), to Cairns in FNQ (Far North Queensland) and now back home in Auckland.

Seeing that catering rig was sobering - the owner must have tremendous energy to run a building business all week, then pull out on the weekend to cook for hundreds, and probably thousands of people - my goodness!

I have met some great people through BBQ, some face-to-face, some via email. Meeting you continues a long tradition of being very lucky in those that have crossed my path and I know we will meet again soon on my trips to Philly. BTW, Terry says hi.

Fondest regards to you both …

Ralph in Auckland

BTW - being an Australian living in NZ is kinda funny sometimes, but I have to advise your mention in the post above of the New Zealand forces, should instead reference the Australian forces. As I mentioned my father was a great supporter of the Americans for what they did in WW2, but I know he did take part in the infamous 'Battle of Brisbane' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane). - a bit like the story of the two American planes diving at his ship out of the sun - neither side comes out well in the 'fortunes of war'.

Picture of Ralph, Bob and Terry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg With Bob RR IMG_0546.jpg (57.3 KB, 161 views)

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Nice story all round fellas!

It is fairly easy to get Kiwi's and Aussie's mixed up a bit if you're American. We tend to stick together when we are found overseas "on campaign"

General consensus however is that Kiwi's are slightly crazier than Aussies.
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Great that y'all all got to meet up. I've had the privilege to meet quite a few Brethren from all over the USA and even a couple from The Netherlands. It's amazing how an internet group can connect so many great folks and I would also like to thank Phil for what he started here.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Nice story all round fellas!

It is fairly easy to get Kiwi's and Aussie's mixed up a bit if you're American. We tend to stick together when we are found overseas "on campaign"

General consensus however is that Kiwi's are slightly crazier than Aussies.

LOL.....

Old 10-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #12
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice Glad you guys got to meet That is some trailer too
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #13
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

I’m glad you two were able to meet and thanks for the history lesson.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote