MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Default Best thermometer?

I see everyone and their mom's signature with Thermapens. Anyone have other suggestions? I have an iGrill, which in theory, should be awesome, but it's been faulty. I love the idea of a remote thermometer. Suggestions?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I have (2) wireless units I bought at Walmart. Not sure the brand, but I think it's "The Backyard Grill", $15 each.

I've only used them a couple times, so I can't speak for longevity, but they work great. I have the receivers sitting in the house while I"m doing other stuff and can see the temp at any given time.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Remote, Check out the maverick ET-73 and 732. I have the 72 and 73 and love both of them. Amazon has the 73 on sale (or at least had it on sale)

Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Whoops, I should have given a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-G...meter/19525225
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
osx-addict

Yeah, bad history at our house with remotes.. None ever make it very long before something breaks for some reason or another.. The last one (don't recall the brand) lasted literally two cooks..!

We've been using a Thermapen ever since.. No issues.. We even used it yesterday to test out a new furnace thermostat we had installed.. The Thermopen is the most accurate temp probe I've got.. The new thermostat was off by 2 degrees.. Not bad..
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I've never had the first issue with either of my Mavericks. I know a few on here have mentioned they had some problems with their 72, but I've had it nearly it a year, and it's still kicking strong.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have the Maverick ET-732 and it works like a champ!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
I have the Maverick ET-732 and it works like a champ!
What he said.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Thermoworks rt301wa or rt600c (by the company that makes the thermapen). THermapen is a little better but wayyy more $$.

For dual probe: et 732.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 09-11-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
mn_big_dog

Maverick ET-732 is my go-to...I have 2 of them and love them. Not only do I get a great signal in my basement, but last night I walked 1.5 blocks away and still had signal.
mn_big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

Plus one on the maverick ET- 732. Great thermometer. I love mine.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Jethro608
Full Fledged Farker

I bought mi at wally world also got 2 . Just watch the dbl read out. They work great one at one end one at the other. Turn one one wait then the other you'll get them both:thumbup: like 15$ each. Just test in ice. And in boil water. I stick one in meat when I get close and leave till done. Hell I already know temp in smoker.
Only thing it sets off my remote door bell:D wife hates it at 5 am:D

Old 09-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Thermoworks rt301wa or rt600c (by the company that makes the thermapen). THermapen is a little better but wayyy more $$.

For dual probe: et 732.
I still don't get why folks spend the extra $$ for Thermapens - now I remember - it's because I'm a cheap bastige. I love the rt600c, and can buy 3 more for what a Thermapen would have cost. I don't need to know the temp of the meat 3 seconds sooner. I can live with that.

I have both the et-7 and et-73 from Maverick. For my use, I added an antenna (there are threads about this mod if you search for them) to each unit and found that the transmitter from the et7 and the receiver from the et-73 work best together. When my current setup breaks, i will most likely get the et-732.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
touchdowntodd
Full Fledged Farker

im a newbie .. and i have a decent digi therm probe that is dead on per the boiling water trick ..

BUT .. i dont even turn it on, i jsut wait for the meat to probe like buttaaah... i guess i might use it for chicken or steak but honestly i do that by touch for a while now..

idk

Tags
thermometer