MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chicken Wings Using the @STOKGrills Charcoal Basket Like A Vortex

Went to watch the Syracuse March Madness game with my nephew BJ and BIL Barry and decided to try out the STOK Charcoal Basket that comes with the STOK Charcoal Drum for indirect cooking of some chicken wings.
People rave about the Vortex and it’s capabilities on all the BBQ forums and a couple of weeks ago I realized that the STOK charcoal basket insert is very similar in shape and is made to place right in the center of the grate where one would place the vortex unit on a Weber Kettle.
I used it to sear a ribeye a couple weeks ago and it worked perfectly. That was using the charcoal basket upside down and searing the ribeye directly over the coals inside the vortex for an excellent sear.
For chicken wings you set up the charcoal basket upside down again but you cook the chicken wings on the outside perimeter of the grill grates for indirect heat.
Started the coals in the Broil King Chimney at 6:06PM
By 6:19PM they were ready to dump directly into the upside down STOK charcoal basket.

I bought 4 lbs of chicken wings with the drumsticks attached and cut them with heavy duty kitchen shears to separate the wings from the drumsticks. Placed the chicken in a large ziplock bag and added 1/4 cup of Paul Prudhomme Blackened Rub and a 1/4 cup of peanut oil to the ziplock bag and shook it up to coat the wings. Then they sat in the fridge until ready to cook.
At 6:25PM the center grate of the STOK insert system was replaced after the coals were dumped and the chicken was placed around the perimeter of the grill grate with the meatiest parts of the chicken facing inward and skin side up.

One hunk of mesquite placed in the center directly over the coals for smoke.

6:38 mark. In the future I will trust the cooking and not lift the lid for at least 25 minutes. the dome temp from the STOK drum read around 575 and I closed the bottom vent 2/3 of the way to make sure temps didn’t run away.

7:01 Dome temp 480. I figure the temps at grate level are probably 75 degrees less. next time I’ll do a check.

7:05 checking the chicken internal temps they were registering anywhere from 168- 182. Time to come off.

The skin was bite through crispy and the chicken was juicy and flavorful. Best I’ve ever done and my BIL Barry and nephew BJ, both Wing connoisseurs said they were hands down the best they’ve ever eaten.
I won’t cook them any other way. If you don’t have a STOK grill I would highly recommend getting a Vortex for yourself.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Looks great!

I have a STOK grate on my Weber Performer and love it.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Looks great!

I have a STOK grate on my Weber Performer and love it.
I really like mine too. Keep a mason jar with peanut oil out by the grill and wipe the cast iron down before and after every cook. They stay "grate" (see what I did there?) so long as you take care of them.

I was all about getting craycort grates for my Smokey Joe but there's also something about the ease of handling those lightweight grates that come on the Smokey Joe with a simple pair of tongs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
COS
is one Smokin' Farker

I was just look at those grates today. I was thinking of removing the center piece when cooking chicken. Does food stick to those grates very much?
By the way good looking chicken.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
captjoe06
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS View Post
I was just look at those grates today. I was thinking of removing the center piece when cooking chicken. Does food stick to those grates very much?
By the way good looking chicken.
It doesn't if you cook on them often and/or regularly brush them with some vegetables oil

Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Joe, the wings look fantastic.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Those wings look great!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Very nice looking wings...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken wings, crispy chicken skin, STOK, Vortex