• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

60 day old cryovac....WTF?

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So last week when my briskets came in they were pushing 45 day in the cryovac. They looked and smelled fine and I've wet aged 45 days before with no issues. But since it was getting close a I specifically asked the sales rep to make sure the pack dates were within 30 days on the next order. The order came in yesterday with an October 7th pack date...over 60 days. Long story short I had to get another vendor to drop me briskets because I was not going to chance it with what I was sent. I'm seriously considering switching vendors due to the lack of attention to detail. My time is money and I have spent hours dealing with the BS. What do you all think? Did I overreact? Or should I take my business elsewhere?

I think you did the right thing for your business. Take your business elsewhere. It's your brand, your restaurant, that is on the line.

You put out a bad product because you don't want to make waves you will pay for it with the loss of your business.

I think you are reacting the way you should.

I am not a restaurant owner or vendor but I read this section for something to do. Just wanted to say you are definitly reacting appropriately. Switch vendors because you have asked a few times and they haven't gotten better they got worse. No sense doing business with someone who clearly doesn't care.

They will send you the junk if you will take it. Refuse delivery of stuff like that a couple of times and they will quit sending it to you. You did they right thing.

I think you did the right thing.

Think of it this way. If someone got sick off of a brisket they supplied you that was 60 days old, who's reputation would be tarnished more? Your's or their's?

You can't take those kinds of risks when you deal with the public. Your reputation is on the line.

should supply what you request, however if the cryo wrapping was tight and not loose which will show gas being let out from the meat it will be fine..just already wet aged for you. Another issue would be it was frozen for awhile

should supply what you request, however if the cryo wrapping was tight and not loose which will show gas being let out from the meat it will be fine..just already wet aged for you. Another issue would be it was frozen for awhile

These are all fresh, if they have to freeze then they usually discount them because they were frozen

ShencoSmoke, what are you paying per lb for brisket and who are you buying from if you don't mind me asking. I'm south of you in the Lexington/Staunton area and US Foods is hitting me up for $3.54lb for packets up to 13lbs and if I want then over 13lbs they are getting $4.25lb. Walmart here only has them at random bit when they do I can get them for $2.48lb Oh and they would gladly throw old sh!t my way too if they can.

ShencoSmoke, what are you paying per lb for brisket and who are you buying from if you don't mind me asking. I'm south of you in the Lexington/Staunton area and US Foods is hitting me up for $3.54lb for packets up to 13lbs and if I want then over 13lbs they are getting $4.25lb. Walmart here only has them at random bit when they do I can get them for $2.48lb Oh and they would gladly throw old sh!t my way too if they can.

Starts with and s, ends with an o, with a "ysc" in the middle, out of Harrisonburg. $2.50 a pound for ibp choice #13 average. Cows must be big lately because the ibp is averaging easily 15 pds. They are not moving much brisket lately, hence the pile of two month old briskets. I have a local vendor in Winchester as well, he is at $2.80 a pound for the same briskets

Interesting how they got caught with extra briskies knowing winter is coming -
I love reading your threads, folks don't have a clue how hard it is to
serve great food.

Those guys will sell old stuff to you, unless you reject orders. However, they try to convince you that they are the only game in town. A lot has to do with creating a connection with the local sales rep. However, those guys vary in terms of willingness to help and make effort.

You definitely did the right thing, no way I take any meats that old, even though I know if the cryovac is good the meat should be okay.

My rep says that 60 days old boneless beef is safe. I'm not selling yet, just practicing yet and sharing as I prepare. I've cooked a case of 60 day old 1855Beef.com and it was great! No bad smell, no problems.

I've cooked some that were a few weeks older still, and they smelled and tasted fine, but the texture was looser, and I would not serve that.

Back