Pulled Chicken

rabeb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, had some FANTASTIC smoked pulled chicken last night at a restaurant. I had never even thought about doing chicken that way. I searched the archives and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. The chicken I had last night had light and dark meat, so I assume they were smoking the whole bird.
Anyone care to point me in the right direction on how to smoke some pulled chicken?

Thanks!
Bryan

Anything you see about Turkey can be used for chicken. Brining is key. You have to adjust the brine time for chicken though.

When I do pulled chicken, I do a whole bird that I’ve spatchcocked. Just cut out the backbone, open up like a book, season and smoke till done. To pull it, let it cool just enough to handle, discard the skin and remove the meat from the bones.

I make mine with leftover smoked chicken, I reheat it in a foil pan with some sauce, and it pulls really easy. I brine, I should mention that.

Yo Bryan, I used to be a big fan of beer butt chicken. I thought it was the most economical way to cook chicken. After the bird was done, I would filet out the breast and leave them whole. I would bone the rest of meat for pulled chicken and package it for freezing. The cheepest (pun intended) price on whole chickens in my area is usually 79¢ per pound. The yield I usually get from a whole chicken or turkey is about 1/3 of the original weight with equal amounts of white and dark meat.

Several years ago, the local store had 10 pound bags of chicken quarters (leg and thigh) on sale for 29¢ per pound. Ten bucks bought me 30 pounds of chicken. What I liked about this was it was simple cooking. No rub, no injection, no marinade, no basting. Just throw the birds on the big smoker and cook them until they are done. I didn't even use a thermometer to check them. I did as my dad taught me years ago. When you can easily move the leg joint and the juices are running clear, the meat is done. You don't need to worry about getting the skin cooked competition style or "non-rubbery" because the skin is discarded from the meat.

After the birds are done cooking, and while the chicken parts are still warm and cool enough to handle, bone the meat. There is one small bone on the leg you need to make sure to watch for. Sometimes part of the wishbone may be in the thigh area too. Throw the meat in one pile and throw the skin and bones in a big pot. Once you are done pulling the meat, you can add what ever rub or seasoning you like. I don't add anything before freezing because I use the chicken in non-BBQ recipes. One pound of chicken will easily fit into a one quart baggie. The yield I usually get on thigh/leg pieces is 30%.

Now that pot full of skin and bones will make some great stock. I just cover the remnents with water and boil it for at least an hour, maybe two. I don't add any spices or veggies, but you can if that floats your boat. When I am done cooking down the stock, I use a collander to strain the bones and skin. I find it best to let the stock cool down before refrigerating it over night. The next day, I remove the grease that has risen to the top of the solution before freezing it in small batches.

The reason I don't cook whole chickens any more is this. The quarters are cheaper to buy and the yield is fairly close to whole birds. If I want white meat to cook, I can get boneless/skinless breasts on sale from any where from 99¢ to $1.28 per pound. The yield on the boneless/skinless breasts is a LOT higher than 33%.

Sorry for the longwinded reply, and I hope some of this helps.

Lager,

Juggy

Dang, you beat me to it... I find the skinless thighs (boneless or otherwise) seem to work the best for this. They hold the rub better and the natural juices and moisture make for a nice end result.

I second this!

Dang, you beat me to it... I find the skinless thighs (boneless or otherwise) seem to work the best for this. They hold the rub better and the natural juices and moisture make for a nice end result.

YES! haha jk

I havent seen ya a while on here so i was nervous your recipe was not gonna get posted so i hurried and posted it!

best ever pulled chicken.

YES! haha jk

I havent seen ya a while on here so i was nervous your recipe was gonna get posted so i hurried and posted it!

best ever pulled chicken.

Thanks. You can generally find me in the Woodpile, but I do still spend a fair amount of time lurking here.

We now return you to your regular programming... :becky:

I did a bunch of smoked chicken a few months ago. I used thighs per someones suggestion here.

What I did was washed the thighs and pulle the skin up and over to expose the flesh and then used a rub on them. Then smoked them. After that I collected the skin and cut that into strips and fried it and added it back into the pulled chicken.

Hey guys, had some FANTASTIC smoked pulled chicken last night at a restaurant. I had never even thought about doing chicken that way. I searched the archives and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. The chicken I had last night had light and dark meat, so I assume they were smoking the whole bird.
Anyone care to point me in the right direction on how to smoke some pulled chicken?

Thanks!
Bryan

At the Winter Blues & BBQ for the troops up in NE last year we did something like 125 pounds of chicken quarters. No brine, no injection, just cooked on a big farking Spicewine and pulled into pans. I think the magic temperature was 185°, internal, and we were pullin' fools.

Back