temperature

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
i know a butt can cook at 275 and up, but what about a chuck roast; I am doing one of each and wonder it th roast can take the heat like a butt due to its fat content

motley que said:
i know a butt can cook at 275 and up, but what about a chuck roast; I am doing one of each and wonder it th roast can take the heat like a butt due to its fat content

In my opinion, yes.

A chuck roast can definitely handle 275...it's not that extreme of a temp.. Still, unless you were pressed for time, I'd think you would be pleased with dropping your temps down a bit..

i would like to go slower but i am cooking in one of those square aussie walkabout grills and its tough to do slow and low.

motley que said:
i would like to go slower but i am cooking in one of those square aussie walkabout grills and its tough to do slow and low.

If you can keep the temp in the 275-300 degree range, you will be happy with the results. Just watch the internal temp, shoot for 195 or so for pullable meat, and remember that the real test of done-ness is when a probe goes in with no, or very little resistance.

Back