1st Comp Jitters!!

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The 1st Annual Ohio Open Barbecue Cook-Off ,July 13 & 14 will be my first comp.

Only 7 1/2 days left.

Man am I getting nervous!! :shock:

I am ok with my pork and ribs but I have yet to turn out a decent brisket.
Well, what I would call decent anyways. :roll: It has good flavor and is tender but it always seems to dry out.:icon_smil

I think I will be OK on the chicken but I still need to do a couple more runs to get it down.

The other thing that has me worried is the WSM that I will be cooking on acts a little different when you have it full of meat as opposed to just doing single meats. Not drastically different, but enough that I am worried about it. I cooks slower so I am worried about turn in times and having the meat ready by then. Wish I had more capacity. Oh well, I will have PLENTY of capacity when the new Spicewine gets here!!:biggrin:

Any sage advice from fellow WSM Brethren or Sisters?

Has anybody had any experience using the Piedmont Pan with water instead of foil? How about you sister Keri? Thinkng of trying it to see if it will be longer bettween refilling the water.

Just a quick question about your Brisket. What temp are you pulling it out of the cooker ? Brisket can be dry if it's undercooked. When you overcook brisket it tends to fall apart.

Has anybody had any experience using the Piedmont Pan with water instead of foil?

Z, I use the Piedmont pan with foil and water (foil first, then water) and have had very good luck with it. I did about a 12 hour cook and added no water.

No advice on the WSM...just a little sympathy for the jitters ...I got em too ...first comp is on the 21st of july! in Odessa:eek:

No advice on the WSM...just a little sympathy for the jitters ...I got em too ...first comp is on the 21st of july! in Odessa:eek:

Ditto on the jitters...our first is July 13-14 also. Best of luck to you both!!!

Z, I use the Piedmont pan with foil and water (foil first, then water) and have had very good luck with it. I did about a 12 hour cook and added no water.

AWSOME!! So, just line it with foil and then pour in the water, right?

I have a turkey fryer that I am going to use to heat the water before pouring it in the water pan so it doesn't take long to come up to temp.

Just a quick question about your Brisket. What temp are you pulling it out of the cooker ? Brisket can be dry if it's undercooked. When you overcook brisket it tends to fall apart.

I am pulling it out when it gets to 185.

I am wondering if my temps might have something to do with it. A couple of times they temp got up in the 270-280 area. I read somewhere that if you have temps over 250 that you will "boil the fat" out of the brisket and it will be dry. Is this true?

Just back from my 1st contest (other than a backyard bbq contest) and it went great. Everyone was so helpful, and I felt I could ask just about anyone a question. It was a little intimidating at first being next to Chris and iQue, and across from Dirty Dick, as well as the Freestate Smokers. I got over that quickly though.

Just have fun, and enjoy the experience. I learned so much I cannot wait to get back out there again.

--Larry

Guy's relax! It's just a bbq contest. It wasn't so long ago (2 years) that we went through the same thing. In your first contest, all you have to do is enjoy yourselves. The rest will fall into place. If you don't have fun, whats the sense in cooking a contest. If you have fun, I guaranty you will be hooked. As a new team, just concentrate on getting your product in on time, without being DQ'ed. After that, it's up to the judges and ya never know. Best of luck to you all.

I am pulling it out when it gets to 185.

I am wondering if my temps might have something to do with it. A couple of times they temp got up in the 270-280 area. I read somewhere that if you have temps over 250 that you will "boil the fat" out of the brisket and it will be dry. Is this true?

I don't like to get my cooker over 260. If I were you I would cook your brisket till it hits 195 to 198. I don't think 185 is high enough. That's just my opinion though. When you stick a probe in to take the temp it should have very little resistance and the brisket should kind of wobble like jello.

Guy's relax! It's just a bbq contest. It wasn't so long ago (2 years) that we went through the same thing. In your first contest, all you have to do is enjoy yourselves. The rest will fall into place. If you don't have fun, whats the sense in cooking a contest. If you have fun, I guaranty you will be hooked. As a new team, just concentrate on getting your product in on time, without being DQ'ed. After that, it's up to the judges and ya never know. Best of luck to you all.

My strategy exactly.....I'm just gonna have fun. I can sure get myself worked up sometimes....the old football player in me...ya know, hate to loose:mad: ...whew!:mrgreen:

A while back I remember reading a thread from somone(sorry I can't remember who) at there first comp that was stressing when all of a sudden he looked around and said to himself " this is only BBQ for crying out loud...not brain surgery" and then he was able to just enjoy and do his thing. I try to remember that when I feel myself stressing out...It's helped alot!!

Have a good time and you are a winner. I always set a goal for myself "as in" get the meat turned in on time and let the chips fall where ever they want.
Good luck!

We'll be there... come by if you need any help or anything. It should be a lot of fun,and I hope the weather is good.

My first comp, we came in 50 out of 60. My second comp we came in 36 out of 36. It sucked loosing but we had a hell of a time getting there.

Have fun and ask questions.

Z-MAN,

Going back to your original post.
1. Sounds like you are changing to a Piedmont pan but have never used one. I have no idea how that changes the WSM. Some folks say it is not wise to change things (experimenting?) for a comp. A "test run" would probably be a good idea.

2. Brisket. First off, championship brisket (and butts) can and have been cooked as high as the mid-300's, so do not stress if you get temps in the upper 200's for a bit. Just adjust them back down and cook on. It will not dry out a brisket or a butt. "Roger" on cooking to a higher internal temp--195 or so in the point and a good "buttery feel" when probed will help. As to Dry, foil them puppies at 160-170 or so with a cup of AJ or broth or something and they will normally be plenty moist.

3. Are you cooking on just the one WSM listed in your sig? Two will work if you have the butts and briskets in the dry cooler by 7 AM or so and you can change over to the chickie and ribbies for the final stretch! As to longer times with a loaded WSM--Yes, but.... Just start them an hour or two before your "best guess" and remember "the cooler is your friend" at the end.

The best advice you have received is to just relax and have fun.
KISS......:lol:

Do not be concerned with scoring well.
You will score higher if you just relax and focus on some good cooking and enjoying the experience!

Just some thoughts.

Good luck, great cooking, and have a memorable time!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Our first was in Yardley , 47 teams. You may look around and see some bug names, just remember they all started just like you and I, with a first comp. Every one we spoke with was GREAT. Everyone said "if you need anything?" etc.. good luck and have fun.. the whole BBQ thing is awsome. like a Giant party with good people and breat Q.. our 2nd comp is in 2 weeks and will be a lot easier know how great everyone is!!GOOD LUCK.

ZBQ - John - Tonto,

My first comp is the 27th so I share your jitters. Best advice I've heard is don't over think it. Lots of other good advice here. My main goals are to have fun and not to come in dead a$$ last in any catagory. Good luck to all.

Tom

One thing that helped me calm my nerves was to write down a schedule. We had a dry erase board and listed everything that needed to be done and when. The times don't need to be exact, but used as a reminder. Good luck.

Oh yeah, we still use a timeline!

Jason

Guy's relax! It's just a bbq contest.

Some folks say it is not wise to change things (experimenting?) for a comp.
"the cooler is your friend" at the end.

write down a schedule.

Theses are the best bits of info here as far as getting over the anxiety of a contest. Relax, have fun, but be prepared. Have a schedule and plan to have things finish ahead of time. That way if the cook times go long, you have a buffer built right into your schedule. Also, it's tough to know how things are going to work out the first time you try them so I'd definately try the practice run with the piedmont pan before the comp. If you don't have time, forget it. It's not going to make you a better cook. Just relax and do your best, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Back