MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #121
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't know how I missed this thread but glad I finally caught it. That is a nice rig man. I applaud your skills. I have a build I want to do but it keeps getting put off for one reason or another. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #122
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
Don't know how I missed this thread but glad I finally caught it. That is a nice rig man. I applaud your skills. I have a build I want to do but it keeps getting put off for one reason or another. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours!
I saw in your signature that you have a 6' x 37" section for an offset! That will make a giant cooker.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #123
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Oh, it has been fired up at least ten times since it was done enough to cook on! I won't be able to open the doors for 3-4 days anyway, I put on a pretty thick bead of gasket maker so it will take a while to cure.

I'll have the time to paint on my silhouettes and finish fabricating the basket that I decided to make for the firebox.
I can cut those silhouttes out for you if'n you were closer. I do metal art and have been quite busy lately cutting out pigs and such. All mine is freehand though. I'm a very poor good ol boy metal artist that makes do with what I have available.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #124
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
I can cut those silhouttes out for you if'n you were closer. I do metal art and have been quite busy lately cutting out pigs and such. All mine is freehand though. I'm a very poor good ol boy metal artist that makes do with what I have available.
Blue, I wish you were closer because I'd take you up on that offer! I am just painting them on for now, but cut outs would give it another dimension.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #125
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

Ryan can we see some pics after you finish the gaskets from the inside and let us know how the wax paper worked out. I am interested in the outcome, I may do the same to my pit.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #126
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2006JE View Post
Ryan can we see some pics after you finish the gaskets from the inside and let us know how the wax paper worked out. I am interested in the outcome, I may do the same to my pit.
Will do. This morning I was able to cut off the excess that squeezed out the sides. For the most part it was setup, I did lift the lid to see how it was setting up underneath the wax paper. Still pretty gooey under there, but I figured it would take at least 3-4 days.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #127
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Blue, I wish you were closer because I'd take you up on that offer! I am just painting them on for now, but cut outs would give it another dimension.
Here's a jumping Bass that I am working on. Cut it out freehand out of 11 ga.... Had just flamed colored it in the pic. Needs another coat or two of clearcoat and is going to be mounted on a beveled cut mirror at an angle. Dude wanted a firering made with these fish in the side and I told him to let me try to do one or two to make sure I could freehand it and once he saw the "practice" one, he has now decided he wants it to hang in the house on the wall AND the fire ring made.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #128
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Blue, that is incredible looking! I think the free hand makes it look better.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #129
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Got the silhouettes taped off and painted today, need to grab a pint of black paint and a small brush so I can touch up the edges a little bit, but I am fairly pleased with how they turned out.

And of course, GO HUSKERS!

While I am waiting for that silicone gasket maker to setup properly I should have enough time to build my larger coal basket. I have decided to do some competition cooking and I want to see how long a basket of lump will last me with a stoker/guru. Maybe I can get a little sleep at night.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #130
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

That smoker is looking better every day man! I can't wait to get mine to a point that I can cook on it. Working on building the support frame/legs now so I can get to making the firebox.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #131
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Ryan, that turned out great!

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #132
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Su-weet
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #133
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

After you fire this thing up again let me know about how that silicone seal works on your firebox. I really like the idea of using it as the seal on the cooking chamber cause I know the heat there shouldn't ever get hot enough to melt it, but I am curious to know if it can be used for firebox seal too cause if it can, it will certainly be on mine for sure

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #134
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
After you fire this thing up again let me know about how that silicone seal works on your firebox. I really like the idea of using it as the seal on the cooking chamber cause I know the heat there shouldn't ever get hot enough to melt it, but I am curious to know if it can be used for firebox seal too cause if it can, it will certainly be on mine for sure
Will do! My theory is: by putting the silicone on the door, I can keep the door open while getting the cooker fired up, which would be the time that I would be at the greatest risk of burning the gasket. Then when my cooker is warmed up and the fire is stabilized I can shut the door and control with the air intakes.

Actually, thinking about your setup, I am not sure the silicone will work for your firebox. Is your door going to open up? I used a door that opened up on my first cooker and it fried the the silicone. Of course that was doomed to fail because that probably ended up being the hottest spot on the entire cooker!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #135
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Well the results are in: using the wax paper instead of vaseline was a major success! The only issue that I ran into was the temperatures not being warm enough to setup the silicone so it took even longer than I had planned in some of the thicker spots. She is air tight, not even a whisp of air coming out anywhere except the exhaust.

I built a large coal basket for the firebox to test how long an 18lb bag of lump will last with a stoker set to maintain a cooking temp of 275. Thanks Trent (TTNuge) for letting me borrow the stoker, if it goes well I will be buying some sort of temp controller. It won't be the super hi-tech stoker though, way to much technology for my simple mind.

I have the cooker fired up right now for brisket, salmon, chicken thighs and a couple of fatties! I'll try to capture some pics of the silicone gasket after the cook today!

Here is the cooker in action! It seems that I always plan the best days to cook on: 25 degrees and a pretty steady, cold wind out of the north!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2