using WSM bottom as fire pit?

neuyawk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was cooking on the WSM over the weekend and the thought occurred to me. Would it possible to just toss some logs over the charcoal ring on the bottom (removing the top 2 sections) and make a nice fire? Like those fire pits everyone has to sit around in competition?

I'd imagine the flames wouldn't be hotter than the coals already were. So anyone ever do this? Or would I just simply fark up the grill?

I've seen picks of people using the bowl from a 22.5 Weber kettle as a fire fit. The just cut the legs down.

I use the bottom of an 18" WSM as a fire pit. Works fine for us. I did make new legs that are longer than the factory ones for it though.

I use the bottom of a 22 ots for a fire pit. I cut the legs off to about 1 ft long. It works great.

I bought an 18" WSM from some a$$hat$ that did just what you describe, they used it on their patio for "ambiance". Didn't even bother to move or cover it when they painted the house. Go ahead on and knock yourself out, but hopefully this will persuade you what will happen to it-

IMG_5007.jpg

I had to replace all the vents as the porcelain finish cracked all the way around the bowl and the aluminum vent corroded, the legs were distorted from the heat.

peaspurple has it goin' on with the soon to be patented swamprb Weber 22" Redneck Firepit!

100_1714.jpg

hope you reconsider

I've done it without problem. But I didn't build a roaring fire in it, 2 or 3 logs. I don't do it often though since I have a fire pit, but kids love it for s'mores and it's much easier to move! Just call me an azzhat :wink:.

there are enough old kettles just lookin for a job. i would not risk my wsm bowl for that.

Yeah I guess it better worth my while to just find an old kettle. Was kinda nice last weekend, figured a fire pit could extend my outdoor sitting longer into the season.

Keep the charcoal ring in it and use it. I have used it several times, like this as my daughter likes to make smores for fellow teams at comps.

just 1 more thing the weber does, to make it even more versatile. In fact im lazy, so a lit chimney or a half chimney if in short on coals, dumped in then some logs on top, and you got a fire pretty darn quick.

Back