MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #4081
GoinOvr
Found some matches.

I've had it airing out for the last couple days and it's completely dry inside but it does look like I'm going to have to cut the lid.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #4082
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1lite View Post
cool,thanks I can start out with those and see what i get.Seems I want to go up in temp ,not have to try to bring it down right?so less air first and open as needed...
Better to catch on way up for sure.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #4083
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinOvr View Post
I've had it airing out for the last couple days and it's completely dry inside but it does look like I'm going to have to cut the lid.
Best of luck. Be careful !

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #4084
Stef
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinOvr View Post
Wash it out with some laundry detergent first and you should be fine.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #4085
xperzk
Found some matches.

Newbie here. I just read the entire thread twice. I want to thank everyone here for the information and pictures. I have 2 drums. I farked the first one up along with a wally world uniflame worthless piece of junk. Please don't close the thread out. It is a right of passage, and one of the best reads I have ever had. And I think the bottle opener IS necessary, even if you don't drink beer or bottled pop. I am not sure if it is a balance thing, a good luck thing, or a bling thing, but I am CONVINCED it is needed. By the way hello all!
xperzk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #4086
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

xperzk, I do believe you belong here bro! Nice post. Now, build and cook!!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #4087
Phubar

Default Weber lid question

Would a Weber 18,5" lid fit perfect on the lip of a barrel with an outer diameter of 18,89" or does it need modification?
The 22,5" Weber lid on my UDS fitted perfectly as if it was made for it.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #4088
xperzk
Found some matches.

Thank you Meat Burner, I am going to drill the intake holes tomorrow. And burn it out Labor Day. I figure I have a better chance if everyone else is smoking and grilling at the same time. As luck would have it, I live about 1 mile from the fire station. I wonder If I stand next to it with a weenie on a BBQ fork they would fall for it. I will post pictures, cuz I know without pictures, it didn't happen!
xperzk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #4089
D_Weezy
Found some matches.

First of all I want to say hi! I am new here. I was thinking about using a modified turkey fryer basket, for a charcoal grate and basket. What do you think? With a little adaptation, I think it might work. The dimensions on the basket are 13" high by 11 1/2" diameter. With coal grate, that would leave me with 10" high by 11 1/2" diameter. That is a volume of approx 1038cu. inches. I see that most everyone's basket and grate comes out to a volume of approx 800cu. inches. I should have plenty of room and then some.

3.14pi x (rad. x rad. = rad. sq.) x Height = Volume cu. inches

3.14pi x (rad 5 3/4" x rad 5 3/4" = 33.0625" rad. sq.) x 10"H = Volume 1038.163cu. inches

I hope I am not over thinking this. I have a tendency of doing that.
D_Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #4090
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Would a Weber 18,5" lid fit perfect on the lip of a barrel with an outer diameter of 18,89" or does it need modification?
The 22,5" Weber lid on my UDS fitted perfectly as if it was made for it.

Allready found the answer.
The specs of my drum:outer diameter=18.89",height=29.5",gallon=?
What should the space between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the food grate be?
And the diameter/height of the charcoal basket and air intake(0,7")?
Did some research on mini UDS' but the ones I found had smaller barrels and Weber (Smokey Joe) lids.
Thanks!

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #4091
Norcoredneck

Probably a 30 gallon drum. Here is one I started making. Kinda lost interest.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #4092
Phubar

Thanks but do you have any answers on my questions above?
I would appreciate it,I'm kinda stuck in the build right now cause I don't have the right specs.

*WGA Ambassador

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #4093
Norcoredneck

Thing there are no specs. I would put a grill at top, decide what is sufficient space for what you want to cook and put a grate that distance below top grate. Everyone is different and most important is to learn to cook with what you have. If you are trying to build a small UDS then proportion it down. If you are trying to emulate a WSM then get those measurments.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #4094
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Weezy View Post
First of all I want to say hi! I am new here. I was thinking about using a modified turkey fryer basket, for a charcoal grate and basket. What do you think? With a little adaptation, I think it might work. The dimensions on the basket are 13" high by 11 1/2" diameter. With coal grate, that would leave me with 10" high by 11 1/2" diameter. That is a volume of approx 1038cu. inches. I see that most everyone's basket and grate comes out to a volume of approx 800cu. inches. I should have plenty of room and then some.

3.14pi x (rad. x rad. = rad. sq.) x Height = Volume cu. inches

3.14pi x (rad 5 3/4" x rad 5 3/4" = 33.0625" rad. sq.) x 10"H = Volume 1038.163cu. inches

I hope I am not over thinking this. I have a tendency of doing that.
I was really caught up on volume in the beginning too but now I know it really isn't a big deal. I used a kettle charcoal grate 17" diameter and expanded metal to make the height 6" high. That holds more charcoal than I will ever need. Next one will definitely be smaller!

The only problem you might run into with a charcoal basket 13" high is that it is bringing the fire closer to your food. But you will never know unless you try it so put it in there fire it up and post some pron.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4095
Phubar

@Norco:
Cool!
It's gonna be a small UDS not like the pic you posted above.
I'm gonna make it the same as the big one,Weber lid,3 air intakes with one ball valve.
Thanks!

*WGA Ambassador

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker