Tri-tip

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice on the tri-tip, it turned out great. I just used salt, pepper and garlic, grilled it on the weber then put it in the smoker. I let it get to 165, my wife and daughter don't do rare but it turned out very rare anyway, so I was surprised and happy. No photos but I have a small chunk that would make an excellent steak and cheese sandwich if I weren't on a diet.
Dave

Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers

At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!

I did two tri-tips for dinner Friday night. I used Poobah's PR marinade and they were unbelievably good!!!

The microwave is your friend for people who do not like meat cooked to proper temps.

At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!

Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers

Looking forward to dealing with the leftovers.

I suspect you are right about my Maverick remote being wacked. During the entire cook it would read LLL off and on. I should have stuck it with another thermometer but didn't, that means I may have to stick my pork butt in the oven today to finish it off because I took it off at 185 so it could be way under cooked as well. Guess my meds were not letting me think clearly. :icon_sleepy

My daughter nuked her meat but my wife ate it as I did and we thought it was excellent.
Dave

Back