Time for a new Gasser - any thoughts?

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Reaction score
my 8+ year old Char Broil bit the dust. I also have a XL BGE so looking to pick up another gasser to add to the collection. Need something for those cold or rainy nights where I want to grill but just need fast set up/clean up, etc.

My friend is a Weber dealer so can get me better than MSRP pricing (not sure I should post the price, its a nice little discount but we are not talking 50% or anything crazy). I had my eye on the e410 as I like the retro open cart design. the sear station seems more gimmicky and I have an XL BGE with grill grates for the 1-2x a year I may cook a steak. I used the side burner on my Char Broil 1x in 8 years (I have a huge indoor kitchen with 3 ovens and 6 burners on the stove so I am not short on cooking space). So the 435's and their features do not really appeal to me for the extra price. My friend does not have any e410 in stock and trying to figure out when they are coming in. He has the S435 in stock but I am paying for stainless hood and grates (I prefer the cast iron grates) and closed doors plus the sear/side station which I'll never use.

So I should just exercise patience but I also want a new grill!

I started looking around and looked at Broil King - was comparing the Sovereign and Regal line to the Weber Genesis II line. Due to size I'd be looking at the XLS 90 or the Regal S590.

The XLS 90 is $50 more MSRP than the e410 but comes with a ton more options (most of which I do not need though!). Regal line is another $300, is it worth the upgrade?

Part of me is likely going to wait out for the e410 but if there is a huge chorus of chants screaming the Broil King is better, that's a different story. I know the Genesis is now made in China but Weber still has good customer service, a nice 10 year warranty, etc so that is not a huge concern. In 10 years I hope to redo my entire outdoor area and would do a built in grill, so 10 years of coverage is fine by me.

I've had a broil king baron for about 3 years. I really don't use it a ton, but whenever I go for it, it fires right up. It's holding up great as well - no rust, still looks near new and I'm bad about keeping it covered. I haven't needed any warranty work, so no clue how good their service is.

I cheaped out and went with the 310 model, which so far has been 90% perfect. Every once in awhile I wish I had more grill space, but other than that it's been rock solid in the 6 months I've had it. Really, weber's reputation and the 10 year warranty are what sold me on the unit.

I have a Weber Genesis 3 burner and love it As far as grill grates go my Large BGE Grill Grates can fit and used on the gasser Weber makes a great product

I got a 6 burner/rotisserie/sear burner Kitchenaid new in the box, 88000 total btu for 650 last summer. Costco was selling the same model for almost a grand. I use it just about every week, either steaks, chicken, ribs, roasting coffee, just about anything I can think of.

I'm pretty partial to the Webers... If you can get one discounted, I'd be patient and get what you want. It's an investment, and in the end you'll be happy you did. IMO

Weber keeps making parts for years in case you need them, and has great customer service. No other gasser I would buy in this price range.

I got a 6 burner/rotisserie/sear burner Kitchenaid new in the box, 88000 total btu for 650 last summer. Costco was selling the same model for almost a grand. I use it just about every week, either steaks, chicken, ribs, roasting coffee, just about anything I can think of.

yup so did i . nexgrill are selling their higher end grills under the kitchenaid name . the searing and rotis burners rock ! lotta bang for the buck .

I recently replaced the internals on my 23 year old Weber genesis 1000 and it still a great gasser. Webers have parts for a long time and are easy to rebuild for 150 bucks.

I have several charcoal cookers but my Little Weber Q1200 does most of the grilling work when I want it fast for just my wife and I. Ive cooked on it more than a thousand times.

I recently replaced the internals on my 23 year old Weber genesis 1000 and it still a great gasser. Webers have parts for a long time and are easy to rebuild for 150 bucks.

I picked up a Weber at an estate sale. Needed rebuilding.
I bought parts from Walmart, and Lowes. One afternoon to clean and change out parts. New to me Weber cooks great. I picked it up for peanuts.
I have rebuilt 3 Grills for a couple of friends. Easy to do.
I primarily grill with charcoal, so the Weber gets used sparingly.
I keep mine with a cover on it, on my patio, with a large tintop patio cover.

My Weber is there when I need it...

I am in the same boat (not the friend that can get me a discount though). I bought a Char Broil Professional Series 19 years ago. Had a lifetime warranty and I have used that to keep it going for a long time. Customer service was great and I replaced the brass burners 4 times for just the shipping and handling. The upper rack is finally shot, and there are no replacements available from Char Broil or after market. So, it is time to buy a new one. The new Char Broil units don't seem to be made as well, and the warranty is nothing near what the old one had (probably because of people like me who really got our money's worth...lol). I have been looking at the Broil Kings and the Webers. Pretty sure I have settled on the 410 as well. I have only used the side burner once in all the years I had my current gasser. I also keep a full cover over it, so I don't need to spend the xtra money on the enclosed cart and additional options. I am hoping that Father's Day will be good to me...:p

I have several charcoal cookers but my Little Weber Q1200 does most of the grilling work when I want it fast for just my wife and I. Ive cooked on it more than a thousand times.

I have counters I use for various repetitive tasks, but never thought of putting one on my BBQ.... :wink:

:laugh: Had to pull your leg.

My gasser is my main Que, too. I smoke separately at times, then finish cooking different ways.
But often the Gas Grill is the main Flame Broiler to burn some meat. Just convenient.

I will put in another plug for a Nexgrill/Kitchenaid Gasser. About five years ago my Sams Club Members Mark Gasser gave up the ghost Due to rustout. I looked at Weber's and then checked out the Kitchenaid at Lowes To me it looked like the most bang for the buck. So far mine has been a great grill. I really like the rotisserie burner and also the side searing burner. When I bought my Weber Performer Kettle a couple of years ago I kind of forgot about the gasser and only used it rarely. This spring I got it out and cleaned it all up it still looks as good as new. I have started using it again and it sure is handy when you are in a hurry or need to finish up a pork but that just does not want to get past the stall. Look around for a good deal on either Weber or Kitchenaid, either should serve you well.

Another vote for Weber here. Get the size you want because it will go a lot longer than 8 years. I have the Spirit 320, new burners once, grill grates twice and favorizer bars twice after 8 years but I use the heck out of it 3-4 times a week. Still going strong.

Good luck with your choice.

I have a 2006 Weber Summit that we use a few times a month or more. Works like new, haven't had to replace a part yet (knock on wood...). I got it used for well under a grand.

I just got the E315 2 weekends ago. I REALLY like it. I have cooked on tons of cheap gassers at relatives before. This thing really cooks nice. The 315 has no thrills just the closed cart. I wanted that as my 1 year old loves taking all my grill tools when he sees them. So out of sight and we are in good shape.

I typically cook on charcoal but wanted a gasser for the same reasons. So far i have been extremely happy with the grill. If you plan to build it yourself i would plan for a good hour. Took me little over an hour but that involved a few alcoholic slushies.

I'd also consider a pellet grill. There are plenty out there that will do high-heat and even direct-heat. Better flavor IMHO and just as convenient.

Back