Call on the Brethren for help.

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been roped into cooking chicken for 150 people for a wedding reception this Saturday. I figured I would marinade the pieces in Italian dressing, then before cooking apply dry rub and make the guest very happy.
But, we all know things don't go as planned.
First an entire gallon of the dressing spilled in my car on the way home today, then I found out the the "grill" at the reception site is completely useless.
So, I get to cook it all Saturday morning and transport it to the event.
The question is- What should I do, let it cool to room temp and put it in coolers, get it cold in the fridge then cooler it, or try to keep it all warm in Cambro's and coolers?
Thanks for your help and wish me luck.

Chipper

Think thighs and try and keep warm in Cambros. Boneless thighs would be best in this case. YMMV

Tough call. Any holding time is going to deterioriate the quality. Why can't you take a grill with you?
Chicken is best done cooked to serve but if not possible, go with skinless, boneless breast portions and hold in cambros with some broth.

I agree try to find a Big grill or three to take with you.

The question is- What should I do, let it cool to room temp and put it in coolers, get it cold in the fridge then cooler it, or try to keep it all warm in Cambro's and coolers?

Chipper[/QUOTE]

Letting meats to cool at room temp, put in coolers and then keep in fridge is a great way to get in trouble with HD and get the customers sick.

You should have plenty of time if you cook right before you go and then keep in Cambro's to keep temp. up to a safe level. BBQ Bubba had it right when he suggested keeping it hot in broth.

Chicken needs to be handled with caution. Suggest you take ServSafe class.

I want to thank all of you for the suggestions and tips. I ended up having a pretty rough go of it.
On Friday night the chicken went on ice with my company cell phone and gps. I didn't discover it until the next morning and by then they were submerged in cold bloody water.
Saturday I started the grills at 8:00 and cooked non-stop for 7.5 hours. I held it in Cambros and cooked the breasts last. All the comments were positive, so I guess it was a success. I am going to buy a large capacity grill, actually a whole hog cooker, so I can do a large quantity all at once.
I suffered some smoke inhalation issues as well. But am feeling better now.

Chipper

In the future if you're in a bind, I would suggest a couple of things. 1) Rent the large capacity gas grills (or charcoal) from a local rental place. 2) or, have some fellow BBQ friends come help you out. Just a couple of ideas.

Thanks Capn, I am looking at a larger unit to do chicken, and whole hogs. Starting to look into doing some gigs and actually getting paid. No idea what I need legally, so I will be looking for any help I can get.

Chipper, glad you got through it, I am trying to wade through the process myself.
My understanding is if your a private chef, and cook on site, fine, if you want to cook anyplace else(cater) than the certified kitchen thing comes into play.

Please keep me posted, I am very interested in how you make out.

Are you looking at the meadow creek hog cooker or?

Eric

Yep, its the Meadow Creek Hog Cooker. The PR60 is the one I'm leaning toward.

Haven't been around here for awhile, but if you are looking at a meadow creek pr60, you might want to try to go one step further and get their CD-108 which is there caterers delight , with a pr60 on the front and a bbq 42 chicken cooker on the back. Just a thought, I use one and do so many different things on it. Good luck.

Back