First Cook On New WSM 22.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I did a 2lb fatty and 6lb chicken. The fatty got Adkins Western Style Rub and the chicken was marinated in Italian dressing for 24hrs and rubbed with Badia Complete. Everything turned out great. It was 53 high today and light rain ALL day. I could have picked a better day but I like adversity. I'm impressed with the first cook and will follow up with a few notes if you care to read. Nice cooker.

Attachments

• 20210411_144541.jpg
    20210411_144541.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 20210411_163216.jpg
    20210411_163216.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210411_184536.jpg
    20210411_184536.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210411_190004.jpg
    20210411_190004.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 189
53 degrees today and light rain ALL day. The cooker was wet the entire time.

1. I used about 2/3 of a 20lb bag of Embers briquettes. Not the best charcoal but it's what I had.
2. No doubt the cooker was designed to run 225-250 . I actually took the full water pan out because it refused to leave 225-230 with all the vents wide open.. I knew I needed more heat for the chicken. I'm sure the weather played a factor too.
3. Removed water pan and 350 was a matter of minutes. I dialed it down to 275.
4. Thin blue smoke was apparent in about 20 mins of lighting the cooker using Minion method. It got "kinda" dirty after an hour but I opened the side door and it was at that point the lit charcoal had reached the wood chunks. Not sure anything can be done about that but it settled back to thin blue about 25mins after the chunks were burning good.
5. Used more charcoal than I expected but again the weather wasn't ideal and not the best briquettes.
6. My first impression is this could be a superior cooker to my old 55gal UDS but this was a first run. I loved my UDS and knew it well and used it year round. I'm looking forward to more cooks on this machine. It was a fun day minus the rain.
Oh, and after 5.5hrs and the cooking done, the cooker is still hanging at 215 degrees. It's making it's case for set and forget.

Chicken looks great! I’ve had my WSM about 8 years and I love it. It’s very fuel efficient and pretty versatile. We are passing in the night. I’m taking delivery of my Shirley patio this week and can’t wait to try my first true stick burner. It will be interesting to see what we cook on the most. Enjoy the new cooker.

Chicken looks great! I’ve had my WSM about 8 years and I love it. It’s very fuel efficient and pretty versatile. We are passing in the night. I’m taking delivery of my Shirley patio this week and can’t wait to try my first true stick burner. It will be interesting to see what we cook on the most. Enjoy the new cooker.
You will love the Shirley. I sold mine this weekend but plan to get another. It made the best bbq I've ever cooked. A little more hands on but well worth it.

Great looking cook William, I'm loving the color of that bird. Congrats on the new WSM.

I've used a WSM22 for several years. They are a great cooker. I agree they're not really a hot an fast machine, but there is nothing in BBQ that you can't do with one. I bought a CyberQ, but they are far from required. You'll enjoy it for years, bet you big $.

Another observation. At one point I checked the temperature through the thermometer port. I didn't use a grate thermometer this time. The lid said 255 and the port, below the upper grate, said 320 using my Thermapen. I'm guessing my grate level was around 280 but I plan to get an adjustable lid thermometer and set it off of grate level. Already ordered a stainless door from Cajun Bandit. The tin OE door is not up to Weber standards IMO but I guess they have to keep cost down somehow.

Spend the coin and buy a Cajun bandit door for it.Money well spent.I have them on my 14,18 and 22.Your food looks great.Replace that standard thermometer with a Tel True also.You will be happy.Those are great cookers with or without the pan.Another tip,use lump charcoal,wayyyyy less ash.

I definitely love my 22 as well it likes to run about 275* though. The temp has a lot to do with how much lit charcoal you put in it and the temp outside will require more lit charcoal to get to certain temperatures. Great looking cook!

Mine is awesome. As others said, the Cajun door is a must. I added a Digi-Q, but not mandatory. The dome thermometer is not accurate. You will need an alternative.

I will echo what others have already said. I too have a WSM 22, and love it. I don’t yet have a CB door, but I did put gasket material around my stock door. So far, just fine. Try out different fuels, both briquettes and lump. I have no problem getting mine up in the 275-325 range with the water pan in and water in it. Even on cold days.

It truly is a great cooker. I really fell in love with mine after I stopped using water and put a clay flower pot bottom in it for a heat sink. Mine runs forever at 240 dome temp Great bird!

Someone tell me please....I always have heard people talk about how great the cajun bandit door is for it...I haven't done this mod yet, what does it do for the smoker?

Great pics!

Love our WSMs. We've had 3 18s and 2 22s over the years. Great cookers all around, can use with or without water.

+1 on the cajun bandit door

Also one tip, if you're trying to get it up to temp quick or to a high temp (275+), crack the lid just slightly to create a larger draft effect. Once you get close to your target temp just pop the lid back into it's normal place.

If you want to cook above 275-300, just keep the lid cracked to keep the draft high.

So William I’m curious: are you going to move up to a bigger Shirley or down to the patio? The trend I’ve noticed on my short time here on the Brethren is many seem to step down to smaller Shirleys. I wanted to try my first stick burner and didn’t want to suffer the wait so I got on the patio list. I’m starting to wonder if I might be fine at this size. We’ll see. Enjoy the WSM!

Back