MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Talking Universal Curing Brine Using Oakridge Game Changer ~ A Work In Progress

Ever wonder if you can use Oakridge Game Changer Brine & Injection as a 'curing brine'? So did I, and I've been experimenting this year and it's time to share some information.

If you already use Game Changer, you know it contains sea salt, cane sugar and some signature spices like garlic, black pepper, onion and a few others. To use it as a curing brine it needs some pink salt (aka Cure #1, Prague #1, Instacure #1) which contains 6.25% sodium nitrite in a salt carrier. It's dyed pink so it won't get confused with table salt. Sorry, Morton tender Quick is not an option here because it contains salt and sugar which will upset the percentages.

My experiment was inspired by Pop's Brine which is both an 'equilibrium curing brine' and a 'universal curing brine'. This means the amounts of salt, sugar are variable and the amount of Cure #1 is close to the minimum needed to fully cure meat. The base amount is 1 gallon of water.

Now we don't know the percentages of salt and sugar in Game Changer but the wet finger test tells me that the flavors are well balanced. There are recommendations for full strength and half strength amounts, which relate to recommended brine times. We also know that curing brines generally have longer brine times than flavor brines. So I concluded that a Game Changer curing brine will need to be lower strength because the brine time will be longer.

What is agreed upon in curing circles is that 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of Cure #1 is the minimum amount needed in 1 gallon of water. And the maximum recommended safe amount of Cure #1 used in 1 gallon of water is 3 tablespoons (actually the maximum amount is around 4 tablespoons, but this causes the parts-per-million of sodium nitrite to approach a Government limit, so 3 tablespoons is a safer amount when curing at home).

I am currently using this formula:

1 gallon of water
125 grams of Game Changer
23 grams of Cure #1 (this is a generous heaping tablespoon)
Additional aromatics like a lemon, some herbs, peppercorns etc.

I mix my Game Changer and any aromatics in a quart of warmed water on the stove top, then add 3 quarts of cool water. When this mixture has cooled down, I add the Cure #1 and mix VERY well. Usually I mix this the night before and refrigerate. For thin meats like a pork chop I just use a cover brine. For thicker meats I inject a few ounces, then move into a container with a covering brine.

So far I have cured turkey breasts, chicken breasts, and pork chops. I am using a warm/hot smoke and my total cooking times is in the 4 to 5 hour range. The Cure #1 will provide the safety net to exceed the 4 hour food safety window but I decided against experimenting with something like a ham until I've got the amount of Game Changer nailed down better.

Here is a turkey breast I recently smoked, I injected, then brined the whole breast in 1 gallon of brine for about 50 hours. Then removed the fillets, seasoned them with rub on all sides, put them together, wrapped with the skin, and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours. I removed the twine and put into a sock for for hanging and to improve the shape, then warm/hot smoked to an internal of 157°.

Set the whole breast with the cavity up, and just follow the rib cage with a fillet knife.

I did slice off some fat from the skin but it is only to protect the breast when smoking. It will be chewy and this is why I directly seasoned the fillets.

The twine is just to hold the skin while drying in the fridge.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

You didn't answer the all important question...how was it?
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Very very informative. I'm looking forward to further updates as you go. Your learning will become my learning. Thank you.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Incredible!

You da man!
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
You didn't answer the all important question...how was it?
I'm very satisfied in all departments..... flavor, texture, moistness, smokiness but there is one variable that has to taken into account, and that is the fact it's hard to find a turkey that is not enhanced to some degree. This one was a Jennie-O brand that had up to an 8% broth based injection. This is an unknown factor that will change from brand to brand. If it was a 100% fresh bird I would have been tempted to use more Game Changer. Maybe another 30 to 50 grams.

A roast like this is fine for an evening meal and great when chilled for sandwiches or chunked in a salad. My smoker temps were 150° to 225°, so there is no way to get crispy skin like when you roast a bird. Chops will have the ham look and are better grilled than smoked at low temps.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote