"50°F warmer temps" on new WSMs? Really?!

mr books

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm having one helluva time trying to keep the temps under 265[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]°F on the lightly used WSM I acquired last week. I was targeting 225-240, but that has been out the window for a while now.

[/FONT]Just read on VWB about the issues with new WSM's. Namely, the Weber claim that new smokers may run 5[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]0°F warmer because of the heat reflecting on the shiny surfaces before the smoke and grease build up. Has anyone else found that to be true? If so, how many smokes before this heat issues subside?[/FONT]

(I'm referring to http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tempcontrol.html)

Weber claim that new smokers may run 5[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]0°F warmer because of the heat reflecting on the shiny surfaces before the smoke and grease build up. Has anyone else found that to be true? If so, how many smokes before this heat issues subside?[/FONT]
I purchased my WSM about a year ago. I had trouble controlling the temperatures initially. I was told the first handful of cooks might run higher due to this. I found that to be exactly the case. Beginning at five or six cooks in, I pegged at 225 every cook.

Its Twoo, Its Twoo :lol::lol::lol::lol:LMAO

Thanks Brian...always liked that scene

Paul

Same thing happened to me. If you follow the temp instructions from Chris on the virtual weber bullet website, just adjust your intakes down when the cooker gets up to 175 and you should be able to stop it before it gets to 225.

Same thing happened to me. If you follow the temp instructions from Chris on the virtual weber bullet website, just adjust your intakes down when the cooker gets up to 175 and you should be able to stop it before it gets to 225.

sound advice. I do the same on my 18.5's except at 200 to peg 235 or so.

To speed up the seasoning process, spray the inside with a light coat of oil before the next few cooks.

Back