I couldn't wait.....

bosco0633

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am starting my first brisket. I trimmed my 15lb brisket this afternoon. I cut a chunk of fat between the flat and the point. I watched a video that says that all the fat between the two doesn't render well so I removed a chunk of it. I still have a bunch of fat. I have my charcoal chimney starting and I am getting my WSM ready for te king night!!!

14lb packer coming up!!! Wish me luck

1st overnight cook?

I will probably try mine soon after my custom smoker is finished and I figure out its temp control.

Ive done quite a few briskets. When the brisket is probe tender and rested. Take the back side of a thin knife and seperate the point from the flat. Then you can flip the point and the fat will come right off while still warm. Same for the flat.

well that wasn't fun. The chimney wanted to be a hassle tonight. But finally got it going then my WSM didnt want to go past 190. I opened the door and it shot up to 350 so I dialled it back and it started to drop. Then it dropped too much!!!!! ahhhhhhhh

So I finally had temp stable at 253 but I am full vents open, all 3 bottom and the top is wide open. It has staid at this temp for the past 20 min or so but I am nervous that it will spike. I have never had to run the vents fully open since I have been using it.

Anyways, meat is on so we will see what happens. Meat is at 79F and grate temp is right on 250 as per my maverick. I have the bells and whistles set to scare me if it drops or rises more than 5F.

OH BOY!!!!!

How fast does the internal temp go up on the brisket before the stall??? The reason I ask is that I am already at 100F from 79F in less than a half hour. Is it normal to get the quick rise in temp??

The temps raise pretty quickly until it hits the stall and it will stall for hours at 250 degrees.

2 hours in grate temp 244 lid temp is 225. Seems like a big difference to me?? It is really cold tonight 8C that may have something to do with the difference.

Meat is 165 already. That seems like it's high to me already. Temp on meat is steadily rising not as fast since it hit 160 but still going up. At this rate is was planning on taking off at 2pm around 14 hours. But will I need to take off sooner???

What is the best temp to go by for finish temp with addition to probe test and feel of course. Just looking for a guideline.

Wow this is worse than tending to a sick child at night lol.

Too dark to take pics right now but I will in the am. Lid ain't coming off cuz if you lookin it ain't cookin

At 250 degrees you are going to be looking at about 1.5hrs/lb.

I start probing for tenderness after 190 degrees. If it isn't probe tender at 190 I check every 20-30mins after that.

I hit the stall lol. Wooooo

2.5 hours in internal meat temp holding at 163F.

Lets talk spritzing. Should I do it and when.

Thanks for the late night support

I personally don't bother with spritzing. When you rest it in foil the bark will soften up some. Spritzing also will extend your cook time as it will make your temps slightly drop.

Now if you do want to spritz you want to make sure it is when your bark has set. If you spritz and your bark isn't set, your rub will run off your brisket. If you do a spritz think of what goes well with beef. I have heard that a 50/50 mix of worchestshire and water is a good spritz for beef.

Update

Outside temp is down to 5C/41F. Gross so it's getting chilli. My grate temp dropped from a rock solid 253 to 228 this past hour that I was sound asleep.

We are approaching the 5 hour mark and I still haven't looked but opened the door to add a little lump to get the heat going again. We are now slowly climbing back up in temp.

My meat temp has lowered to 158 she doesn't want to budge. I was stuck at 163 and now she ain't taking any heat at all. Been like this for 3 hours. Generally how long will this stall last???

The stall will last hours. If you want to power through the stall kick the heat up on the cooker.

Might wanna give yourself more than a 10* temp window next time lol. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that the alarm was that likely to go off! Long as you're between 250-300 pit temp you're golden.

Hope you're brisket turns out good.

7 hours in, I took a look at it in the day light. first and only time hopefully. Realized that I placed the meat probe in the point now not the flat. Meat temp was 190 but the flat is only 172.

temps holding well Lid temp is 225 and grate temp is 255. I hope that is an ok gap seems kind of crazy.

Added some lump and pecan and water to pan

It doesnt look burnt yet, I have some juice pooling in low spots but I have nothing to compare it to.

Here are some quick pics, let me know what you see. Should I be foiling or letting it go the distance????

I am scared of drying it out

Anyways here they are

320742EE-62D8-42F8-A6F0-EA1CAA2C64D7-2602-000002B996CEA8CA_zpsac66e5f0.jpg

54E6C40E-991E-4964-9EE1-C633950D24C8-2602-000002B99E4F9368_zps289c3ad5.jpg

i'm liking the color you have there. I wouldn't bother wrapping and just let it ride out until it probes tender.

Don't worry about drying it out. If you cook till probe tender it will be nice and moist and tender. Once you slice it, if it is dry and the slices hold together, it means it was undercooked. If it is dry and the brisket starts falling apart when you slice it, it is overcooked. There is plenty of collagen and connective tissue in the brisket to keep it nice and moist.

Also do not throw out the drippings you have caught. After your cook, just remove the fat from the drippings and when you slice the brisket, give it a nice dip into the drippings.

Lookin' good so far. Like aawa said, you'll know when it is done when the probe goes in (to the flat) like butter. The temp is a gauge to get you in the right direction.

My temp is stuck at 248 and I can't get it up. I added some more lump but still can't get it up. My meat temp is dropping all of a sudden from 185 to now 176.

I have been cooking 10 hours and the probe pushes through part of the flat with ease and others still a little tough.

So do I keep going or pull it. I'm at a loss here I have vents full open and the temp is rock solid at 250. Is this all part of the stall we speak about???

Back