MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Big Butt Help

Ok never done a big cook before but a friend twisted my arm. I will be cooking 12 bone-in butts in my Backwoods on Saturday and I'm trying to figure out some time parameters. Butts are 8-10 pounds and I will place them on the hotter and cooler racks based on weight to try and get an even cook through all of them. My target temp for the smoker is 275 so I'm estimating a 9-10 hour cook as my smoker has always cooked faster than the old "1 hour per pound" saying. Is there any advice you big cook experts could give me reguarding a larger cook. I would hate to have this whole thing fall apart because I overlooked something important.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Be aware that with that quantity of meat your smoker will act differently, taking a longer time to come up to temp and it may sit at a lower temperature. How many are you cooking for with that many butts!?
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah I figured I will be using a lot more fuel than normal and my recovery times would take a hit too. Guess doing it is the only way to find out how my smoker will act under these conditions. He is estimating 200-300 people but there is a lot of other food going to be present.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

You will use a lot more fuel in that initial burn, I loaded my bullet smoker up with 25lbs of meat last weekend and had the vents almost fully open to get it up to temp. Luckily once the internal temp of the butts hit about 120F the temp stabilised and I could close down to just one vent half open. I'd plan on spending a good few hours tending the fire at the start, but once the meat's at a decent temperature you should be able to kick back

Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah the plan is to overshoot my temp during warm up to a little over 300 to compensate for the cold meat when it goes on. My BWS hold temp like a champ so once I figure out how 12 butts will affect my drop and she gets settled in I have faith she will hold just fine. Thanks for the advice by the way.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a good plan, I let the Q come up to temp with the meat in it rather than overshooting. In hindsight that would've been a much better approach

Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Give yourself plenty of extra time. The butts will hold for a few hours in a good cooler.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote