Rancher's Reserve Beef Cup

PeppermonkeyBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My searches don't bring up very much 'current' talk about the RR beef cup. Doing the top sirloin for the first time in a couple weeks at Bel Air, MD. From the few posts I did see the guidance for boxing comes from the organizer and can vary from comp to comp. Is this true? Any advice at all on what to expect for the Rancher's Reserve? A little info for planning purposes would be appreciated!

Rules aren't very clear. We did it at St Charles, and there were lots of questions. Bottom line there was, kcbs style box, only kcbs approved garnish. Sauce must use same rules as kcbs...no pooling or containers.

The real lack of communication seems to be what can, or can't, go in the box. Last time we did an RR was in Westmont 2 or 3 years ago. Category was basically wide open, except for the cut of meat you used. At that particular comp, I think a burrito won.

This time there was a LOT of confusion about what could you or couldn't you put in a box. Could you do chicken fried steak? could you include mashed potatoes? Risotto?

I really don't care what they want to allow or disallow, but it should have been made MUCH clearer, IMHO

The real lack of communication seems to be what can, or can't, go in the box. Last time we did an RR was in Westmont 2 or 3 years ago. Category was basically wide open, except for the cut of meat you used. At that particular comp, I think a burrito won.

This time there was a LOT of confusion about what could you or couldn't you put in a box. Could you do chicken fried steak? could you include mashed potatoes? Risotto?

I really don't care what they want to allow or disallow, but it should have been made MUCH clearer, IMHO

In the one contest that we did the RR category, the KCBS reps made it very clear what was and was not allowed in the box. Basically, they summed it up by saying, "think 'brisket' when turning in your RR box."

We won the ranchers reserve with a brisket, I thought it was part of the KCBS brisket category, just had to use their brisket.

RR doesn't really make the rules. I have found that the organizers wait for them and it ends up being the organizer that makes the rules. I do believe that they want folks to think outside the box and be creative. A grilled piece of meat won't win it.

I did ranchers reserve at washington dc, the came around and gave out briskets. I believe they do it there every year

They did that a few years ago at Westmont. They were, as I recall, just Excel brand packers, not sure if they were choice or select. I believe ours became sausage and hamburger:rolleyes:

Yeah, this year we are doing Bel Air, MD in a couple weeks and it is top sirloin. No other guidance!

I signed up for it in Bedford, TX on Labor Day weekend. I know you have to prove that you are using Ranchers Reserve and it's got to be top sirloin. No more info stated.

I signed up for it in Bedford, TX on Labor Day weekend. I know you have to prove that you are using Ranchers Reserve and it's got to be top sirloin. No more info stated.

That was the exact issue at St Charles, IL. Reps weren't sure, were getting mixed answers. could meat be breaded or not, what else could be in the box, etc. All question marks. If RR and KCBS continue this, there need to be clearly defined rules, IMHO

Oh, they also gave us recipe cards, so that when we did turn in, we needed our entry, our receipt, and our recipe card. At least one team was turned back for not having a recipe card. Seems like if they wanted to, RR could just use those recipes, winning or not, as their own property?

Oh, they also gave us recipe cards, so that when we did turn in, we needed our entry, our receipt, and our recipe card. At least one team was turned back for not having a recipe card. Seems like if they wanted to, RR could just use those recipes, winning or not, as their own property?
Why do you think they're doing this? I'm certain that if you read the T's & C's for the contest that Safeway owns all rights to all submitted recipes.

Yeah, but if they want the recipes, wouldn't you think the least they could do is offer some actual guidelines as to what is and isn't allowed? They say "use your imagination" but then have no clear rules, so end up limited.

I'm not alone in my opinion. At the cooks meeting at the comp I mentioned before, all those participating stayed 10-20 minutes after the meeting was over, in reference to the 4 KCBS categories, to try and get clarification on the RR rules. And the reps assured everyone that in future comps, they would be clearly spelled out. Doesn't seem like that's happened.

Yeah, but if they want the recipes, wouldn't you think the least they could do is offer some actual guidelines as to what is and isn't allowed? They say "use your imagination" but then have no clear rules, so end up limited.

I'm not alone in my opinion. At the cooks meeting at the comp I mentioned before, all those participating stayed 10-20 minutes after the meeting was over, in reference to the 4 KCBS categories, to try and get clarification on the RR rules. And the reps assured everyone that in future comps, they would be clearly spelled out. Doesn't seem like that's happened.

Sounds like the same RR fiasco from last year with the top round.

Well I guess I am comforted knowing it's not just us scratching our heads. As long as it is clear as mud to everyone ... We will show up With a plan A, B, C, and D. Then likely wing it with a new last minute turn in plan.

Well I guess I am comforted knowing it's not just us scratching our heads. As long as it is clear as mud to everyone ... We will show up With a plan A, B, C, and D. Then likely wing it with a new last minute turn in plan.

In 2011 at Easton MD we ran over to the Safeway and they tried to make us buy about ten pounds of top sirloin. Told them we needed only three pounds and convinced them to cut off that much, which they did. I cubed it up, tenderized with a mallet and made a pot of chili with a lot of, uh, interesting ingredients. Nelson Colwell, who won the RR comp that day, raved about the chili. Judges were more middle of the road. And that was my last foray into RR comps.

An update just in case anyone cares ... went straight to KCBS and got a little more guidance. In summary:

- MUST be turned in using 9x9 container
- Garnish is OPTIONAL. If used, must follow KCBS rules.
- Can be sauced glazed etc but pooling rule still applies. NO sauce/au jus in separate container
- Turn in's should be highlighting the top sirloin; however, "Think of this turn in as being similar to an 'anything butt' category." IE Beef Wellington, bacon wrapped etc is allowed.

This helps us out a little, I'm sure we'll end up winging it in the last minute. See some of you in Bel Air!

Back