Halal Brisket at RD

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was just at RD in Alexandria, VA. They had brisket labeled as "halal".

I have no clue what it is or why it is any different than other brisket. The cry-o-vac did not have any labeling as to whether it was Select, Choice, CAB, etc...

Anybody feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wallace

Halal means that the meat has been slaughtered in accordance with Islamic law/practice and is allowed as part of the Islamic diet. Typically that would mean the cows throat was slit and the blood allowed to drain from the body.

Halal means that the meat has been slaughtered in accordance with Islamic law/practice and is allowed as part of the Islamic diet.

Thanks. Any idea if it would (or should) be better than choice, select, etc?

wallace

Being Halal by itself would not make it any better in my mind.

I would be interested in knowing where the brisket came from. I don't know of any large scale packer that does halal meat so I would think it would have come from a small processor.

i got one from there earlier this summer. it did not turn out well. dry and stringy.

Thanks. They all were cut kinda funky looking; not much fat at all on them, and the point just didn't seem to be there.

wallace

I just got back from RD. I bought a 15 pound Halal brisket so I will let you know how it turns out. I hope it's better then what you guys have written.

I just got back from RD. I bought a 15 pound Halal brisket so I will let you know how it turns out. I hope it's better then what you guys have written.

Heck, if you were at the RD store in Alexandria, I could swear I saw you as I saw someone else there with the same Halal type brisket and a 2-pack of butts over by the freezer section.

But that would be a long haul from NJ.

Also, time for me to fess-up. I bought 1 as well. :oops: the rest of the CAB and choice did not look good for comps. Maybe only a couple that had decent flats and in the 15lb range. A lot of 8-12lb products and the flats were super thin.

I am with you in that I sure hope the halal turn out better than what other have experienced.

wallace

CRAP, I bought one today, the flat was more consistent then the others. Any suggestions to make it the best it can be?

CRAP, I bought one today, the flat was more consistent then the others. Any suggestions to make it the best it can be?

I know, I'm with you. The marbling in it looked great! I am having a hard time trying to figure out why these things are not as good, and, how to make these any better.

wallace

I usually don't do whole briskest and the RD doesn't carry flats, so without know what HALAL meant I took the plunge. I guess I can't count on this in a comp now. This is one of those threads I wished I had never read :cry: ;)

After doing a little research, I found the following which would be contrary to what some of us have experienced with Halal meat. There are a lot of similar articles. This came from http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...eviews/30675282_1_halal-meat-slaughter-animal

Halal involves a swipe with a sharp blade across the animal's neck, severing the windpipe, jugular vein and carotid artery. Contrary to popular belief, Dr Modi, who trains butchers in the art of slaughtering at the institute's abattoir, says evidence suggests that animals slaughtered through jhatka (normal killing technique of stunning the animal) suffer more trauma than those killed by halal. "The less an animal struggles, the better the meat. When animals face trauma, the glycogen content in their muscles is activated, leaving the meat tough. Stored glycogen is the agent that leads to rigor mortis (or, stiffening of muscles on death)," Dr Modi says.
For the meat to be tender and juicy, the pH count in the animal should ideally be around 5.4 after slaughter. "Struggle leads to the utilisation of stored energy, making the pH count rise to as high as 7," In halal the struggle is lesser by at least 20 per cent, claims a Delhibased nutrition expert.
Dr Modi has support from Dr Karuna Chaturvedi, consultant nutritionist at Apollo Hospitals in New Delhi. "Halal is considered healthier because after slaughter, blood is drained from the animal's arteries, ejecting most toxins because the heart continues to pump for a few seconds after slaughter. In jhatka, not all the blood is drained, leaving the meat tougher and drier."

After doing a little research, I found the following which would be contrary to what some of us have experienced with Halal meat. There are a lot of similar articles. This came from http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...eviews/30675282_1_halal-meat-slaughter-animal

Halal involves a swipe with a sharp blade across the animal's neck, severing the windpipe, jugular vein and carotid artery. Contrary to popular belief, Dr Modi, who trains butchers in the art of slaughtering at the institute's abattoir, says evidence suggests that animals slaughtered through jhatka (normal killing technique of stunning the animal) suffer more trauma than those killed by halal. "The less an animal struggles, the better the meat. When animals face trauma, the glycogen content in their muscles is activated, leaving the meat tough. Stored glycogen is the agent that leads to rigor mortis (or, stiffening of muscles on death)," Dr Modi says.
For the meat to be tender and juicy, the pH count in the animal should ideally be around 5.4 after slaughter. "Struggle leads to the utilisation of stored energy, making the pH count rise to as high as 7," In halal the struggle is lesser by at least 20 per cent, claims a Delhibased nutrition expert.
Dr Modi has support from Dr Karuna Chaturvedi, consultant nutritionist at Apollo Hospitals in New Delhi. "Halal is considered healthier because after slaughter, blood is drained from the animal's arteries, ejecting most toxins because the heart continues to pump for a few seconds after slaughter. In jhatka, not all the blood is drained, leaving the meat tougher and drier."

"Dr" Modi (he's a PHD DR. not an MD DR.) & Dr Chaturvedi (MD, human GP), both need to take a basic animal physiology class.

All though it sounds cruel, when we slaughter lambs we also cut the neck and sever the arteries, this allows all the blood to get pump out which makes for a much better carcass come butchering time.

This may be the reason people are having trouble with the RD Halal Brisket.

The grade on the Brisket that I picked up was Standard not the usual Choice that I get from RD. I actually returned mine this morning. I don't know what the grade was on your brisket but you may have the same situation.

The exchange was easy as the vacuum seal was still in tack.

Tonight it will be ribs for the family.

How many days had you had it and were there any issues returning it?

This may be the reason people are having trouble with the RD Halal Brisket.

The grade on the Brisket that I picked up was Standard not the usual Choice that I get from RD. I actually returned mine this morning. I don't know what the grade was on your brisket but you may have the same situation.

The exchange was easy as the vacuum seal was still in tack.

Tonight it will be ribs for the family.

Back