MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Beer Can Chicken

There was a thread about Adam Perry Lang a while back, and it inspired me to get his "Serious Barbecue" book. The title is totally accurate. I decided to start with the beer can chicken recipe. It has an orange marmalade glaze & part of the recipe involves mixing herbs, evoo & lemon zest, pouring it on the cutting board, & cutting the chicken & dragging it through the mixture - cool idea! My photo skills ain't all that so bear with me.

First, here's a homemade Italian sausage fatty in the process of being destroyed by my son & I. I used a sample pack of Tasty Licks rub & it was really good:

Here are the chickens waiting for the rest of dinner:

Here's one of the chix cut up & sprinkled with fleur de sel along with some homemade applesauce (also from the APL book) and some greens and squash that my lovely wife made:

Since it was a short-ish cook & I didn't need to sleep I didn't use my serpentine charcoal basket. The entire cook was straight stick burning with apple & I gotta say I enjoyed it immensely. I've had my Klose for about a year and I love it more each time I use it. I'm amazed at how once the cooker is up to heat, how little it takes to keep it there. I ran it at 300 and it had no problem staying there. Thanks to the advice of the Brethren, I had the intake and exhaust wide open the whole time & kept an eye on the size of the fire - preheated the splits on the firebox & left the door open after adding a log. I had sweet blue for the whole cook. A great meal and a great day with my family & loved ones. Thanks for looking!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Beautiful looking meal. Chicken looks devine!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

looking great man.
salad looks killer too!
nice farkin work brotha
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Nice looking spread..
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Good looking meal!!
You are absolutely right about that book. I have it and refer to it often. It has some great recipes and advice. I would wager to say it is the best and most useful barbecue book I have