Help me restore the red kettle

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
It was in worse shape than I expected but for $30 why not. so give this restoration challenged person a guide on how to fix it up to its glory.

Its definately old as its got the 3 daisy wheels.

Attachments

• IMGP2013.jpg
    IMGP2013.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMGP2014.jpg
    IMGP2014.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 386
If you don't mind sinking some time and $ into it, I'd sand it down and have it powder coated.

how old are the red ones???

I just picked up one yesterday for $15 bucks...but going to part it out for my next UDS

I could get you the contact info for a guy in Illinois who ceramic coats motorcycle exhaust pipes. He also paints in porcelain. He tells me that is expensive, however. The cost could possibly exceed that of a new grill.

Take a look at the thread I did on the Red Weber rescue, that one is pretty harsh, but as long as you don't care that it won't be perfect it can clean up OK. I really prefer the old style bottom daisy wheel kettles.
Dupli-Color Engine RED is the closest match I've found. I'd drill out the rivet on the top vent and mask off the rusted/chipped areas as close to the edge of the remaining porcelain as possible and paint the chipped spots, let it dry and paint again, building up the layers. None of mine have been THAT bad but one can of paint and a chitload of masking tape will do the job.

I had kind of an assembly line going and rehabbed 4 REDS this shot, and did a couple before and have two more waiting in the wings.
100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

100_2289.jpg

100_2300.jpg

100_2301.jpg

It's kinda bizarre the lengths I've gone to keep these out of the landfill, all of these were freebies, which I flip and keep the Master-Touches for myself to use on the drums and for a comp kettle.

100_2774.jpg

100_2693.jpg

After I've got a few coats of paint on them, I remove the tape and use a razor scraper to blend the masked paint into the chip, use fine steel wool to get overspray off and use Meguiars "Mirror Glaze" #7 sealer and buff with a cotton rag-the color just pops right out!

I wouldn't waste the money to powder coat one, TVWBB did a RED WSM and it was reported to have turned orange over time.

REDS RAWK!!
100_2305.jpg

100_2199.jpg

100_2324.jpg

hmmm...

I guess i'm not going to throw the bottom of mine...

interesting...

Just curious, can the porcelain be sanded down to a smooth, tapered edge where it has been chipped, or is it just too dang hard? Seems if you sanded the edges smooth, you could re-paint the entire thing and you wouldn't see the edges of the chips as much.

That old girl is still worth saving though!

I know this is an old thread but was hoping there were photos of the completed grill. I was just given an old Weber kettle (3 daisy wheels on bottom) and was looking to restore it as well. Several questions come to mind if anyone on this thread can provide answers as I am a newbie at this.
1) Can't I prep the kettle (clean, sand etc) and just repaint the entire kettle with high temp (1200 degree) paint?
2) Should I even try the trouble of restoring the bottom parts (some rust and dings in these parts) or should I just buy the $23 kit for the bottom that gives you everything from the kettle down?

Back