2nd try: Dry Aging with the SteakAger

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Note: You can check out my first attempt here.

Now that the SteakAger is running correctly, it's time to start my experiment over again. If you missing my first try, here's an overview of my plan:

I'm going to start with a 45 day dry age and then do a 30 day and then a 21 day dry age. Once they come out of the SteakAger, I'm going to cut them into steaks, grill up one to see how it taste, then vacuum seal the rest and freeze them. When I have all 3 lengths completed and get them all cut, vacuumed, and frozen, I'll pull one of each and defrost and grill them for a taste test. The reason for freezing the 21 day run is that I want to try to get all the steaks as close to the same condition before cooking for the test. It will be a long wait for the final taste test, but I think it will be worth it.

I'm going to try to make this as "scientific" as I can by trimming all the roasts to 12" and keeping track of the weights. This one is weighing in at 14.81 pounds after trimming.

Here's the bagged roast:
CDwNDGal.jpg

Here it is after trimming with the remaining cut into steaks:
4AVlI5wl.jpg

And in the SteakAger:
H9V9ImXl.jpg

Definitely looking forward to the conclusion! Methodology all seems solid.

Does or will the whole roast fit or must it be trimmed to fit ? I’ve always been interested in one of those so I’ll be paying Attention. Good luck !

I just joined the forum today but have been grilling, BBQing and slow smoking since the 80's. I also just bought a SteakAger and just took out a ribeye after 31 days. It had a lot of dried meat to trim off and the steaks were smaller than I expected but the taste was great. When I got it I almost returned it via Amazon but decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. The biggest problem I've got with it is the size. It would only hold half the ribeye I got at Costco. Next I am going to try a top sirloin and see haw it does. I'll let you know how it goes.

I had the v1.0 Steak Ager from the original Kickstarter way back when. The one you had to keep inside a refrigerator. I had good results from it, aside from A) it not having the capacity to keep up with my dry aged steak hunger and B) the real estate it consumed in my beer fridge.

That being said, I am currently in the market for a glass door beverage cooler to turn into a big dedicated beef dry ager. Because dry aged beef is delicious.

Does or will the whole roast fit or must it be trimmed to fit ? I’ve always been interested in one of those so I’ll be paying Attention. Good luck !

I've got the 15 and the steak currently in it was trimmed to 12" long. The interior width is about 13.75" so 12" is the longest roast I would put in mine. You need that extra space for air flow around the meat.

As is always my suggestion...you'll lose less product to post-age trim if you do not trim pre-age.

Much of the dry aged beef you see in commercial operations is aged as the whole primal. That way, when it comes time to trim for service, they are able to enjoy the entire piece of meat they were after. By trimming before aging, you are going to lose valuable protein during your second trim.

It's just a suggestion.

As is always my suggestion...you'll lose less product to post-age trim if you do not trim pre-age.

Much of the dry aged beef you see in commercial operations is aged as the whole primal. That way, when it comes time to trim for service, they are able to enjoy the entire piece of meat they were after. By trimming before aging, you are going to lose valuable protein during your second trim.

It's just a suggestion.

I agree, but the inside of the SteakAger is 13.25" or so and the Ribeye I bought was around 16". So there had to be some trimming so it would fit. I don't mind as I can cook and eat the trimmings. :mrgreen:

I had the v1.0 Steak Ager from the original Kickstarter way back when. The one you had to keep inside a refrigerator. I had good results from it, aside from A) it not having the capacity to keep up with my dry aged steak hunger and B) the real estate it consumed in my beer fridge.

That being said, I am currently in the market for a glass door beverage cooler to turn into a big dedicated beef dry ager. Because dry aged beef is delicious.

All you really need is a nice wine fridge with temp control or a mini fridge with temp control. You can buy a 30 dollar humity and temp monitor on amazon. At least that's my plan next year.

All you really need is a nice wine fridge with temp control or a mini fridge with temp control. You can buy a 30 dollar humity and temp monitor on amazon. At least that's my plan next year.

Yep. There are several Facebook groups that do the fridge or wine fridge method with mods for better air flow and installation of UV lights to control the bad bugs.

But I'm to lazy to do more than plug it in and go. Had I know the issues I was going to have when I first got the SteakAger, I would have waited until all the kinks were ironed out. But now that I've got it and it's working, I will say I'm loving it.

43 days down.

I pulled the ribeye from the SteakAger today after 43 days of dry aging. I was disappointed that there was ice stuck to the back side of the roast. Since that was the tip where there's a large chunk of fat, it ends up not mattering. I had to break the ice with a hammer to get it out since the ice was hitting the fan unit at the top of the SteakAger and was to thick for me to break with my hands.

Let's get to the pictures, eh?

Here it is after I got it out of the SteakAger. Notice some of the ice is still stuck on the back side of the roast.
NL1ZYGjl.jpg

I checked the temp near the ice and the roast was at 38 degrees, so the ice didn't seem to effect anything.

A quick cut of the iced over fat and the two ends and then I attempted to cut the remaining roast into 1.5" pieces.
vxre3TDl.jpg

I definately need to practice my cutting as I think only two of the 6 steaks are actually 1.5". LOL!!!

Next I had to trim the bad stuff off the steaks and get them to their final sizes. A quick vacuum seal and then into the freezer.
bCLupAll.jpg

I was shocked at how much I needed to trim to get down to the good meat and fat. I hope I didn't cut off to much.

So, here are some numbers for those of you that like that kind of stuff:

Whole roast weight: 19.16 lbs
Roast weight after trimming to fit in SteakAger: 14.81 lbs
Weight after 43 days in the SteakAger: 12.34 lbs
Total weight loss from dry aging: 2.47 lbs
Weight of final 6 steaks: 6 lbs

And the numbers that really matters:
Roast price: $172.25
Dry aged steaks cost per pound: $28.71

Anyone know how much butchers sell 43 day dry aged ribeyes for? My local butcher only sells 21 day dry aged beef, so I can't compare the costs.

Saturday I'm going to go pick up a new ribeye roast and start the 30 day dry age part of the experiment.

Back