Legal/Illegal pit types

bmikiten

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been researching a few pits and have been told by two vendors who do not manufacture pellet pits that they are "often illegal at competition". I'm having trouble finding any reference to this since most allow you to cook with wood (pellets included). This isn't a question of talent or whether or not electricity is present, just the question of if pellet cookers are ever illegal in a sanctioned event.

Thanks

Brian

Pellets are legal in KCBS, MBN, IBCA, NEBS, MABA, FBN, and PNWBA events, and I think the Houston Rodeo as well. I think they are just trying to sell you some cookers.

Agree with CBQ. None of the major sanctioning bodies restrict pellet cookers. There have been a few comps that tried to have only stickburners, but, they were not the norm.

I've been researching a few pits and have been told by two vendors who do not manufacture pellet pits that they are "often illegal at competition". I'm having trouble finding any reference to this since most allow you to cook with wood (pellets included). This isn't a question of talent or whether or not electricity is present, just the question of if pellet cookers are ever illegal in a sanctioned event.

Thanks

Brian

Who are they so I never consider buying anything from them...I hate people that lie to get a sale....

Do these pellet coolers use propane at all? If so, that could be illegal. Or if an electric element keeps the pellets burning?

Pellets are legal in KCBS, MBN, IBCA, NEBS, MABA, FBN, and PNWBA events, and I think the Houston Rodeo as well. I think they are just trying to sell you some cookers.

Also legal in SBN, NCBS, NCPC (i.e., legal in every competition in North Carolina)

Um, what about the obvious?

Also legal under BBQ Brethren Comp rules.

They are correct in a sense that pellet cookers are illegal. Some versions like Cookshack Smokette or Amerique aren't but their FEC's are unless rules have changed making those like the Smokette/Amerique legal. It has to do w/ the way the pellets are burned. The Smokette/Amerique have an electric heat source to keep temp & use some pellets for smoke flavor but the FEC feeds the pellets to keep a fire going in essence a pellet fueled fire w/ only a electric heater to start it off.

Also legal in SBN, NCBS, NCPC (i.e., legal in every competition in North Carolina)

Yea, I actually looked up the rules on each one before I posted, and I was gettin' tired of googling sanctioning bodies, so I am sure I missed more than a few :becky: The majors and the big regional ones all seem to allow pellets. Good thing since 3 of my 10 cookers are pellet cookers.

They are correct in a sense that pellet cookers are illegal. Some versions like Cookshack Smokette or Amerique aren't but their FEC's are unless rules have changed making those like the Smokette/Amerique legal. It has to do w/ the way the pellets are burned. The Smokette/Amerique have an electric heat source to keep temp & use some pellets for smoke flavor but the FEC feeds the pellets to keep a fire going in essence a pellet fueled fire w/ only a electric heater to start it off.

I'm not sure I would consider the Smokette or Amerique to be pellet cookers though - they are electric smokers that take a small amount of smoke wood for flavor. Doesn't have to be a pellet.

There are many products on the market that use pellets as a heat source, and they are contest legal: Treager, Cookshack's Fast Eddy line and the Charbroilers, Yoder Pellet Smokers, Rec Tec, Mak, Louisiana, Green Mountain, Memphis, Royall - no shortage of 'em.

I certainly appreciate all the responses. I purchased an FEC100 today and hope to see it late next week. I already own a Memphis Pro but wanted something for trailer mounting and competition. I won't share who make the comments about them being illegal as two of the companies are regular contributors and I'm going to write off their (salesman's) comments are hype. I was just surprised given the lack of that sort of thing in this community.

Brian

Congrats, you will be happy with the FEC100. There are several very good pits available, but I wish people would sell the relative benefits of theirs as opposed to spreading false information.

Back