has anyone upgrading to a yoder from GMG or traeger?

Watch top gear about that.

How often can you open up your Ferrari vs giving the Prius all it has.

On topic: I've looked at GMG but the augur noise they make just sounds so bad. There are pluses to be had to spending more but odds are (unless something is malfunctioning) all pellet cookers will produce food that is virtually identical.
Different strokes for different folks. The auger noise from my GMG Daniel Boone doesn't bother me a bit. Would I trade for a FEC, MAK, Memphis or Yoder? Sure, but I'm quite happy with the DB.

I can’t stand the auger noise on my Davy Crockett in the camper...irritating to no end to me...especially compared to my Memphis

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can’t stand the auger noise on my Davy Crockett in the camper...irritating to no end to me...especially compared to my Memphis

Dang gtsum, My DC is virtually silent. My neighbor and I were on the deck about 4 feet away and he asked me if I had it on. Maybe I just got lucky.
I'll trade you my DC for your Memphis.:biggrin1:

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can relate to that! I used to own a big pig trailer from GMG. Take DC level of noise and double it lol.

Sometimes, though, you buy something because you just want it, impulse-buy price range be damned.

I own a Traeger for 4 years now and upgraded to a YS640 comp cart in January. Part of this was very nicely described by qnbiker. I've been wanting the YS640 for several years. But the Traeger had acted up a few times AND I needed more cooking space for some bigger cooks we do each year. So those were also a couple of reasons for the upgrade. But mainly, I just wanted that damn thing on my patio :loco::loco::mrgreen:

13.jpg

I get it that a pellet pooper with grilling features will grill better than one without. But what differences do you see in the food results when cooking L&S on the two cookers?

My first couple of cooks on the Yoder were not great, due to operator error. I learned how to use it and the cooks got better. The misses still wasn't convinced about the Yoder so we did a shoot out and ran Traeger and Yoder side by side, same temp, same pellets and smoked a slab of baby backs on both. The results? The slab on the Traeger was done about 15mins before the one on the Yoder. Both had a nice bark and smoke ring. The Yoder slab had more smoke flavour and was more moist. Yes, I know 2 different slabs can be different but these were very similar in size and weight (15gr difference).

It's all about how much you want and can spend. I believe in getting the best you can afford so there's no 'but what if..' later on.

Oh, the Yoders tend to have a rust problem. I noticed the other day that mine already has a small spot of rust on the front, need to take care of it.

Back