3-2-1 Method

AMoore

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I used the 3-2-1 method last weekend for the first time and had great results. Depending your cooker, the times will very. Now, last week I turned my ribs upside down in the foil so they would collect the juices. I on am trying it so the meat is upright this weekend to see if I get the same results or if they will appear less moist. It seemed that although they were moist and tender they APPEARED too moist. But they tasted fantastic anyway. By far my best yet. Any thoughts or comments?

I foil my Ribs meat side down, I've tried both ways but out of the times I've tried it, I've had better luck with meat side down. Here is a pic of some I did over Christmas eve.
4c1bcc32-7799-5aa5.jpg

I also do them meat side down in the foil. I do sauce them and set the glaze meat side up in the cooker after I remove them from the foil.

too moist? Ive never heard of such a thing. Too tender maybe, if thats what your into, but I couldnt imagine complaining about having too much moisture in my meat

Did ribs last week - back ribs - 2-2-45mins and foiled meat side down. Haven't had luck with meat side up. Always have meat side up first, then foiled meat side down, then back to meat side up for the last hour for finishing ; )

Also used mustard to adhere the rub for the first time and was pleasantly surprised - will do it from now on!

Always meat side down for me. Add some apple juice (just a little), brown sugar and honey to the foil and you have heaven!

They will not be any less moist...even ribs done w/o foil will not any less moist if you cook them properly.

I'll foil ribs, but only when I add flavor ingredients like brown sugar/honey/etc.

I've never seen a need to add liquid to the foil to keep them moist. They shed enough moisture inside the package to braise themselves.

Otherwise it's just cook 'em until they are done...save the foil for the leftovers.

As a new guy, I am doing a lot of reading. It does appear there is a challenge to satisfying individual tasts. Now for a question: Would it make sense to put the ribe in a turkey cooker rather than using foil?

I know a lot of guys don't foil, but I've never had success without.

I know a lot of guys don't foil, but I've never had success without.

Me neither. Tried it once and was following the directions out of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book - but they didn't turn out as good or tender as when I foil. Been foiling ever since - think braising in their own juices helps to further tenderize... I don't use brown sugar, honey, butter or any of that in the foil either. Tried it after seeing Johnny Trigg on tv but found that it didn't really add much flavor, was messier, and just upped the cost of doing the ribs (time and money wise) :wink:

3-2-1 is just a starting point. The truth is, you can foil at anytime during the cook. It all depends on how much smoke you want.

Think of foiling as a time saver. All foil does is steam (or boil) the ribs. It blocks smoke from getting to the ribs but it does speed up the cooking process. That's the only purpose it serves as far as I'm concerned. It allows you to bring a bit more predictability to the cook time. If you are not in a hurry, foil isn't necessary.

Ribs don't need foil as long as you keep the temps at 275 F or below. But, if you do foil them, make sure you cook them a while after foiling to dry them a little. That gets tricky because you need to get them out of the foil before they fall apart and let the finish cook time bring to the tenderness that ribs should have.

Just understand the purpose of foiling ribs. It's only to speed up the cooking process. I have cooked great ribs without foil and prefer to cook them that way. But, if you can get them out of the foil at the right time and cook them a little more, they will still be exceptional.

Back