MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
chaostheory
Full Fledged Farker

Default 1st comp W/pron need help

Hey fellas,
I am doing my first comp this weekend and I did a practice run today. The comp is ribs, chicken, and tri tip. I will admit today was crazy and it wasn't even the comp day. The ribs were moist, good bite, but a little heavy on sauce. chicken got a little darker then wanted and once again a little heavy on the sauce. Chicken was moist as well. The skin was a pain in the A$$, as far as taking it off scraping it and so on. I don't think I like chicken anymore, at least for comps. lol. What do you guys think? any suggestion all are welcome. Anyone have a check list for things they need/use/take with them. something to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks guys enjoy!!

Old 08-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Well, I'm not a comp guy. I've never entered or judged a comp, but have seen many threads like this one, And I did spend many years cooking in the food service setting. For me, it would be easier to make suggestions if you took pics of exactly how it will be presented to the judges, in the box and all dressed up.

As for the ribs, very uneven color, but looks like you could get 4-6 ribs out of that second slab that look pretty evenly colored. In the first "bite shot" the glaze looks uneven, shiny in some spots, dull in others.

The chicken just simply doesn't look very appetizing to me, but that may be more the photography, and may look entirely different in a presentation box.

Now all that being said, it looks great for backyard Q, where do I dish up?

KC

Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Agree with code3rrt
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
chaostheory
Full Fledged Farker

Cool thats what I need to hear. Good criticism because I just don't know what to look for or how to get there. I know both chicken and ribs came out to dark and to much sauce. Anyone have any advice on timing or a checklist, playbook? lol!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Time and experience. Remember this is your first comp. (this from me, who has done exactly 0 comps...)

Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Did you post this in the "Competition BBQ" discussion area, you might get a lot more useful feedback there.

KC

Old 08-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You have to make pretty picture perfect food to be used as a delivery system for sauce & rub. Your birds need to be golden brown and the bonz need to be even mahogany. Concentrate on color, flavor & tenderness. Smoke it for a short time then braise the hell out of it in foil and dunk it in a thin sweet glaze.
As much as I can't stand the guy Myrons Cupcake chicken is a path to follow as to what wins. Forget about cooking like you do at home it won't win.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
jread23
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
As much as I can't stand the guy Myrons Cupcake chicken is a path to follow as to what wins.
I thought that was a joke.
jread23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

If you are getting too dark, there is probably too much sugar in the rub. Or you may be cooking too hot. What temp did you cook at? Also, the pullback on the ribs seems to indicate a long time in the foil. Sometimes a little less foil time seems to work better for comps.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
chaostheory
Full Fledged Farker

I ran at 275 for 2 hours in the smoke and they got dark. Most of the pull back came while outside the foil. I used a commercial rub with the ribs. Blu sounds like I will have my first art class this weekend........lol