whole garlic cloves inside pulled pork

Ufo8mycow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this?

I am cooking pulled pork for my nieces birthday party tomorrow afternoon and the thought has just hit me of stabbing the butts and putting whole garlic cloves a couple inches in the meat.

What do you think Should I try it or leave well enough alone for this cook?

I have done it. It's good. Just remember to get them out when pulling. Or, if you really like garlic.... leave em in... lol.

Regards,

Kevin

I hear of folks doing that with various meats, maybe I'm just not Itralian enough but a smoked butt don"t need much help, maybe a little rub, then low and slow to about 205 or so IT, It would probably be good with garlic but no thanks.

I've put them in Pork Loins, never thought about putting them in a Butt.

Google Pernil, very similar

Indeed, when we make pernil we grind up about 30 or so cloves of garlic with capers, adobo, and sofrito with a mortar and pestle until it's a paste. Then just stab a bunch of holes throughout the cut and fill them up.

We do the same thing with thanksgiving turkey as well, it's amazing!

Shoving garlic in your butt could lead to a trip to the emergency room:laugh:

I've done it with chuckies, but never a butt. It could only be delicious, do it!

Umm, does your niece like garlic? Try that next time you are cooking for yourself...

ALWAYS ALWAYS partially cook the garlic before studding the meat. Fry it up with some olive oil or something...but raw is a no no unless you want to ruin your meat.

ALWAYS ALWAYS partially cook the garlic before studding the meat. Fry it up with some olive oil or something...but raw is a no no unless you want to ruin your meat.

This.^^^

For shorter cooks like roast beef it can turn out ok, but longer cooks gives it a tinny taste IMO. Of course I may just be a weirdo that's sensitive to certain flavors, but roasted or par fried cloves make for a really big boost in the final product...to me at least.

i do this when making one or two butts. you really can taste and smell the difference. i usually cut the cloves into halfs. im pretty sure they dissentigrate into nothing because ive never found one in the pulled product and i usualy put atleast 6 whole cloves in there.

Back