My Tomato Problem

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I still have a problem! It’s a nice problem to have but it’s still a problem. Here is last week’s harvest.

And here is this week’s harvest.

Yep! My tomato plants are still going crazy and I need to find more ways to use all these tomatoes. I figured another way to use them was to can some of them. Last weekend we stopped by our neighbors’ parent’s house for a visit and to buy some lemonade. You see their daughters were manning a lemonade stand while their parents were having a garage sale. We were there just to visit but as I was walking up to the lemonade stand what do I happen to see? Yep, a canning pot and rack. I asked, how much? She said $3.00. I said “Sold”. I then explained that I had been looking for a canning pot as I had so many tomatoes and need to preserve some of them. I even had looked at Target when I picked up a Weber Kettle on clearance. (Fortunately I didn’t find one) Later on she said “I won’t take anything for it except a jar of salsa”. Yes! Well here it is all cleaned up.

The canning recipe’s I was following called for peeled tomatoes so I set up my assembly line to peel them all. First I washed all the tomatoes.

I cut an “X” into the bottom of each tomato.

I started boiling some water in a sauce pan and set up a cool down / ice bath.

What you do is drop in 4 or 5 tomatoes into the boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds to blanch them. I then drop each one into the cool water and then the ice water.

The skin comes off really easy after this.

Here are they all are after skinning.

Here are the fruits of my labors.

3 quart jars of tomatoes packed in they own juice

and 3 pint jars of DerHusker’s Fireworks Salsa

And here is her bottle of salsa as payment for the canning pot.

Thanks for looking.

That is a thing of beauty! We've always known you to be a little "seedy," but day-um!

You're really going to enjoy having those packed away throughout the winter... I'm rather envious, to be honest.

Great looking salsa.

Last edited:
Good problem to have, we are having the same. Wish I new how to can, I can only give mine away.

Your canning looks great!!

Trick for making pasta sauce = freeze the tomatoes until you have enough for a big batch. As they thaw 80% of the water you need to cook off will drain out through the split skin and the meat will stay put. Food mill and prepare sauce in 1/3 rd the time.

Been pressure canning meat sauce for 5 years now.

Back