MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Thanks To Big Poppa Smokers - Johnny Trigg Class

I want to give a huge thanks to Big Poppa Smokers for hosting a wonderful BBQ class this weekend featuring BBQ legend Johnny Trigg!

Sterling, Jody, Brad, John, Jessie and crew put on a first class experience and treated the students, Johnny and Trish like royalty.

First, the facilities are top notch. A real classroom environment including ceiling cam and huge monitors so we could learn in a very productive environment. Non stop refreshments at our fingertips. Catered dinner, early morning donuts and ginormous breakfast burritos.

We were also provided with a goody bag full of everything Johnny used in class (well, there was no Jambo in my bag, but all the rubs/sauces etc!). We received a CD of all the pics taken throughout the room and even a poster signed by Johnny and Trish! Out of towners had their gifts shipped home free and everyone got to shop in the BPS store with a nice discount as well!

The class itself was top notch. It was Johnny going through a full KCBS cook, teaching us everything he does at a contest down to the smallest detail and answering every question asked. Add to that almost 24 hours of non-stop Johnny Trigg stories from his 20+ year BBQ cooking career and you have an amazing experience. The class size was very small so there was lots of one on one time and by the end everyone felt like Johnny's personal friend.

I can't wait to try out some of Johnny's techniques in the future and find ways to integrate some of his methods into my own cooking. I am sure it will do nothing but kick it up another notch!

To me, the experience was as much about getting to meet Johnny as it was about learning his recipes and techniques...this was BBQ fantasy camp for me and I loved every minute of it. Class went until past 10pm Friday and I was back at 2:30am to witness the lighting of his iconic Jambo. Getting to spend an extra 3-4 hours with Johnny before most of the other students arrived was priceless.

Thank you Big Poppa Smokers for putting together this wonderful experience that I will never forget!

There were students from several states so if you get the chance to go to another one in the future, don't hesitate to sign up. You won't regret it!

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like it was an awesome class. Jealous!!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks so much Adam..There is another live thread about the validity of classes..especially from cooks that aren't red hot. I would not go to the expense.,...and it is an expense, trust me. I make nothing off the class fee.....have ten bps employees working overtime....and all the other production costs....if I didnt believe that getting a chance to spend 22 hours with Johnny and Trish would not at the very least be a cherished memory.

A vewry small minority will critique Johnny...and miss the point...There is tons to learn spending that time with him.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

what a great opportunity ,thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had the time of your BBQ life .

M

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, I'm very jealous. Wish I could've been there.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I totally agree with you huminie...my wife and I took Johnny's class last March at Sterling's place...first rate then too! Since taking the class Rhana and I have taken our bbq to a new level earning us 8 GC's this year and a trip to the Jack! We hope his teachings will elevate your bbq as well...good luck!

Last edited by JD McGee; 11-06-2011 at 01:23 PM..
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I totally agree with you huminie...my wife and I took Johnny's class last year at Sterling's place...first rate then too! Since taking the class Rhana and I have taken our bbq to a new level earning us 8 GC's this year and a trip to the Jack! We hope his teachings will elevate your bbq as well...good luck!
Dang it! I only got 3 GC's. Like I said in the other thread. On the flight out I thought this is one of the dumbest things I've done.
It turned out to be a great expirience. Sterling & crew did an awsome job.
Thanks to Johnny I got my pork out of the tank and earned my way into the Butt to Butt in Jefferson City MO this year.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

JD and Rhana.....8 GC's
MItch 3 GC's
Big Poppa 2 GC's
Woodhouse 1 GC

There were a couple more so 14 GC's make a pretty good endorsement....that was from the March class....

Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
JD McGee

Yep...add Piggy D's BBQ to your list Sterling...Donna Martin was in our class...she and her husband Darel won Montana and an auto invite to the Jack.

Last edited by JD McGee; 11-06-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
gtr

Hey Big Poppa - do you have a mailing list or newsletter type thingee?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

NO just emial [email protected] We have scheduled another one for the weekend after Havasu

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

JD 16 gcs since that class....want to count RGCS? I know I missed one of the oregon teams

Old 11-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I have heard nothing but great things about these classes. We were supposed to attend this last class, but a darn catering job got in the way

I can tell you this, we will NOT miss the next Feb class!

Knowing BP and his staff, I can imagine that the experience is nothing but top notch!!!!

Pete
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
JD 16 gcs since that class....want to count RGCS? I know I missed one of the oregon teams
Sure...we had one RGC...and two ther teams from our class had one each as well...I mentioned them earlier (pre-edit)but thought it best not to in case they do not wish that info to be divulged as public knowledge...I'll let them chime in if they wish to do so.

Last edited by JD McGee; 11-06-2011 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
YellowSuge
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
JD and Rhana.....8 GC's
MItch 3 GC's
Big Poppa 2 GC's
Woodhouse 1 GC

There were a couple more so 14 GC's make a pretty good endorsement....that was from the March class....
I think I'm the only one without a GC from that class

Don't forget Dale's GC from Kristies.