• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS CL score, or was it?

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A friend of Mrs. SJ was interested in a UDS, and wanted to know if I wanted to build one, and how much....

Well, I saw one on CL and snapped it up Sunday. It's going to need some TLC, but overall it's it good shape.. I figured I'd loot the pieces I needed from it to offset the cost of the build.

Right.

Good news: The UDS has a flat lid, which fits perfectly.
Bad news: A Weber lid won't fit.
Worse news: her friend wants a domed lid

My options:

• Cut and run
  • Hunt down a Weber lid/drum combo, since I have two grates and a fire basket from the CL score
  • Spruce up the drum and resell it on CL
  • Find a knock-off that fits the CL score.

No, adding it to my collection is not an option. Mrs SJ tolerates a lot (she is married to me) but "another smoker" isn't going to fly unless it becomes my new home.

I need your thoughts...

Just make a flange on the inside of the drum with a 2-3 in piece of aluminum and the dome lid will fit.

Search the UDS thread for pics....plenty of us had this same issue, myself included. Actually if you search Google images for UDS flange, plenty of pics will come up...most all are brethren builds.

Yup. Go the flange route. I used the lid from a weber kettle knock off from walmart. I think I bought my aluminum strip at Lowes. You may be able to find it cheaper someplace else, but I was just going for convenience. Bending and attaching was a bit of a challenge. The strip was just rigid enough, that I couldn't do it in one piece. I think in the end, I cut it in 3 pieces to make it easier to work with. Just dry fit everything first. Keep the speed clamps handy! You may need to modify the lip on the lid (ahem... hammer) to fit over the lip, but it works like a charm. Lastly, I went as far as to seal the gap around the flange (exterior) with food safe, high temp silicon. Nice seal.

Flip the drum over and see if it the Weber lid fits. If it does, the current lid can be used as a removable bottom for easy cleaning and I can show you an easy way to grind the bottom off w/o having to cut it.

I did the flange and my metal working skills are Zee-Ro. I c-clamped the aluminum strip to the outside of the drum, bending and clamping along the circumference of the drum, then trimmed the excess aluminum and squeezed/clamped the flange to the inside of the barrel. Drilled and bolted the flange in and ran a bead of hi-temp silicon around the lip.

I do a tinfoil gasket around the lip of the flange as well. Weber lid fits fine now.

you could sell me the one you just bought :)

PM Me and we will talk.

Update:

I was uneasy about whether it would get to temp: It has 4 1/4" holes for intake and a 1 3/4" exhaust port.

So I decided to *cough* *cough* smoke test the drum this weekend.

The basket holds 13 lbs of KBB plus chunks of wood.

It held at 300 degrees for over 12 hours!

Mrs SJ saw my excitement and said, "so we have *another* :mad: addition to the family, huh? :mad2:"

So, you could help me out here.

Back