Old Country Brazos Smoker

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The firebox on my OC Brazos has a significant amount of rust on the outside, but the smoke chamber has none. I can only guess that this is due to the more intense heat of the firebox that perhaps affects the paint and possibly causes more moisture to be rendered from the air.

In any case, I'd like your advice about how to remove the rust and repaint the firebox exterior. Has anyone done this? Can you share results and procedures?

I was going to turn my wood fired vertical into a vertical with horizontal firebox. I figured the firebox would require some annual love to keep it painted. I thought about it- hard. I opted to leave it alone- it was cheaper and I'm lazy.

What Mr. Smitty said "wire wheel,ospho, repaint- repeat" as necessary. Just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

I'm dumber than a box of hammers. What is ospho?

Sorry about that. I asked before I searched. I see that it is a rust preventative.

Thanks for the responses. I'll get on this next week. Is the black high heat spray paint from Lowe's sufficient?

Wire wheel, Ospho treat it, repaint.

https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Me...eywords=ospho&qid=1553363297&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You will have to do this periodically and you can rub down the firebox with the oil and water mixture after cook as it’s cooling. Season it like cast iron.

What he said ^.

The way it was explained to me is the rust is caused by the paint cracking as the metal expands. That's why it's mostly over the firebox. If you repaint it and then hit it with oil on the cool down every so often, it will do wonders. I use a cheap shop towel to rub it in so it doesn't goop up.

I'm guessing that you mean a vegetable oil like Canola instead of a petroleum oil?

I put a drop or two of engine oil on the hinges of the lid and loading door and vent.

Yup - cooking oil of some sort. Some like it mixed with water.

I have used the Rust-Oleum high temp paint, but it wouldn't last too long. I built a UDS last year and used high heat engine paint available at any auto parts store and it has held up very well.

Bumping this thread a bit to ask more questions.

I got the Ospho and I've used a wire wheel in a 4-1/2" disk grinder to knock off all the major rust, but there is still a hint of red on most of the firebox showing that I have not got back to bare metal. My question is, "Do I really need to get back to bare metal or can I just treat with something like Evap-o-rust then Ospho then a hi-heat black paint? Do I need to use a primer before painting?"

I thought I might paint the entire smoker when I get to that stage, but it hasn't come really clean enough for painting. In some places there is a greasy residue, in others just dirt, I think. Should I try to get it clean clean before painting? What cleaner should I use? I washed and scrubbed it down with Dawn and cold water, but there is still a bit of dirt. I thought about a kerosene bath or maybe a combo of vinegar and baking soda. Or am I just being over-anal and compulsive? It's only a smoker right?

Anyone????

Dirt and Grease will need to come off before you paint. Now sometimes it leaves a stain if it’s clean but stained just paint over it . scrub it with soap and water in a bristle brush wipe it down with acetone or something let it dry, repaint it. The light rust the ospho or other treatment should take care of . I wire wheel and repaint my firebox about once a year. I’ll spot paint them throughout the year.

Thanks, Smitty!

This is the first time I've addressed any maintenance other than cleaning the inside and out. I think I will go over it with kerosene tomorrow to degrease it. Then I'll let that dry overnight and hit it with Ospho Friday morning and maybe paint Saturday, weather permitting.

I'm thinking about using the VHT auto drive train high heat enamel and spray the whole thing. I think it will cure ok in our Texas Spring temps - gonna be 90 tomorrow here, maybe - but I'll let it have a few days to cure before I smoke.

I took a video before starting but forgot to get any stills. I'll do some pics after it's finished just in case anybody else wants to see the results I get.

Thanks again!

Is there a good way to prevent rust inside the firebox. It seams like seasoning would burn off. Obviously cleaning out the ash is very important.

I have avoided rust inside my firebox so far by cleaning the ash out, using a latex paintbrush to get as much dust out as possible then slathering canola oil inside the firebox.

Smitty, I was thinking kerosene just on the basis of cost but acetone isn't that much more and will certainly flash off and dry much faster. Thanks!

I've used spray on oil for my firebox exterior which works great. It bakes right on. The cook chamber doesn't really get hot enough for that effect on the outside, however, you don't have the same problems with the paint either. My Old Country 20 inch is 7 or 8 years old. It's kind of a cross between a Wrangler and a Pecos. The only problem I've had with it is one of the spot welds on the bottom cook chamber door inner flange broke and I have a gap there where a lot of smoke comes out. It doesn't really effect anything though.

Back