Thanksgiving turkey in the UDS Rotisserie style

jetfxr27

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Thought I would throw in my little turkey cook into the pile. Enjoy:

ILJtfl.jpg

18 pounder slightly enhanced.

24 Hour Brine in Kosher salt/ Brown sugar and a mixture of flavor.
ndFARl.jpg

qPzyzl.jpg

Next day did a rinse and 1 hour soak out in fresh water. The food grade bucket is from Lowes for $3.
34Sb9l.jpg

Got the drum ready with a mix of clearanced Lump from Lowes and some fresh Peach and hickory chunks.

axeMZl.jpg

All rubbed down and tied up with a mixture of garlic butter and some poultry dry rub. Also thinly sliced a stick of butter and slid it under the skin in 4 places.

Iced the Breast to assist in being done the same time as the thigh.

OSt8ml.jpg

Once the dumpster was up to around 325* went ahead and spit up the turkey and threw her on.
KkbMOl.jpg

uSv1rl.jpg

Half way through the cook, shes browning up nice.
anw15l.jpg

1UEgTl.jpg

After a few hours shes getting close. Notice the drip Pan. Two very important things I learned doing Turkey on a UDS:
Poultry fat dripping on the fire makes for a bad bird.
The second is you have to cook hot to get good color and bite through skin.

k8rNll.jpg

QVbu6l.jpg

At temp, so off the spit and into the tent. Did about an hour rest.

rSyQbl.jpg

moxW5l.jpg

After the rest and prepping for carving.
sGNVal.jpg

All carved up and ready for the feast!

yU9FRl.jpg

Short video
18 Pound Thanksgiving turkey rotisserie style on Ugly Drum Smoker UDS - YouTube

I got a get me one of those. and a top for my UDS. Great looking bird.

Great job, good color, moist, looks eatable! :thumb:

Good lookin' eats right there! I might do a couple of birds next week :thumb:.

That looks outstanding! I will be cooking my bird on the rotisserie soon, but it will be on my Weber gasser. I know that for different kinds of grills and cookers, they have different sized rotisseries. What size rotisserie do you use for a UDS? Can you use any size that will make it all the way across, or what? :confused: TIA

That looks outstanding! I will be cooking my bird on the rotisserie soon, but it will be on my Weber gasser. I know that for different kinds of grills and cookers, they have different sized rotisseries. What size rotisserie do you use for a UDS? Can you use any size that will make it all the way across, or what? :confused: TIA

This is the one I use.
Amazon.com: Weber 2290 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z749712YL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Z749712YL

Back