Best Way To Re-Heat Your Leftover Pulled Pork ?

GrillNewbie

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I don't have leftovers but.... I made my first pork shoulder yesterday and lets just say it wasn't done in time for dinner..lol..

It was 8:30 before it was 198F and it went into the cooler until almost 10:30. I pulled it, sampled it and put it in a bowl and covered it. There it sits in the fridge waiting for dinnertime.

How do you guys reheat pulled pork w/o drying it out ?

Vacuum seal it.

When you are ready to reheat it, drop the vacuum seal bag in a pot of simmering water for 20-30 minutes... if it's frozen it may take a little longer...

I like to steam my ribs and boil/microwave my PP, depending on how lazy I'm being

The ABSOLUTE BEST WAY is to vacuum seal it and freeze it. Then just pop the whole bag (FROZEN) into a pot of water heat up the pot. When the bag's too hot to touch, it's done. ZERO drying out and it's just as good as the day it was cooked. I have literally done dozens and dozens of bags this way.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, I'd recommend just putting the pork in a pan, add some apple juice, cover it and bring it up slowly in the oven at low temp.

HINT: If you do go the vacuum seal route, try and "squish" the pork into nice, even, thin as possible. These bags below are 2 lbs each and the way I package them, they take up less space in the freezer and reheat much quicker.

IMG_4879.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't own a sealer, because I sure don't (yet), I always pull or chop the pork and put it into. A crock pot with a little apple or pear juice. Put the crock on warm and stir every once in a while. Yes it stews it a tad but it stays moist. It does take a couple hours to fully heat back up.

Ps if there is any fat or juice in the bag pour it in too.

Agree with the vacuum seal responses but a cheap alternative is to use freezer zip-top bags. I've reheated pulled pork this way quite a few times and it always turns out great.

The only problem I ever had was when I used my friend's range which is one of those industrial kitchen type ranges. Turns out the BTUs coming out of that burner are quite a bit higher than mine at home and the flame pattern is wider. I ended up melting the plastic bag where it was hanging over the edge of the pot!

Now I heat the water then pour it into a small cooler with the bag of pork and never have a problem.

Between the pulled pork and my sous-vide experiments in the cooler my family and friends are giving me some strange looks. Good thing they like my Q and cooking!

What Wampus said. Those are the two best ways. You can also put it in a casserol dish or 13x9 type pan and pop it in the oven with some juice wrapped in foil, but not that it can take a LONG time for this to bring it up to temp. 2 - 3 hours at a low heat. I've never tried hammering it at like 400, but I'd bet it would still take a good 45 - 60 minutes to get the center up to temp.

+1 with Wampus. I've found that a gallon bag will take 45+ minutes.

I've also had a problem where the bag broke open due to hot spots on the bottom of the pot. I now put a bowl upside down in the bottom of the pot for my pork to rest on.

What Wampus said. Those are the two best ways. You can also put it in a casserol dish or 13x9 type pan and pop it in the oven with some juice wrapped in foil, but not that it can take a LONG time for this to bring it up to temp. 2 - 3 hours at a low heat. I've never tried hammering it at like 400, but I'd bet it would still take a good 45 - 60 minutes to get the center up to temp.

Yeah, I just reheated about 5 lbs (a full 1/2 foil pan anyway) of pork this past Sunday and it took about 1.5-2 hours to get warm throughout. I even got impatient and turned the oven temp from 200 to 300 about 1/2 way through.

I like to reheat in a frying pan..you get the nice crispy edges with the tender moist middle. It also only takes a couple of minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I normally reheat in a half-size foil pan covered tightly with foil. I'll add a touch more ACV, if needed. I normally go at 300 degrees, sometimes 350, stirring after 15 minutes.
I've never noticed it takes more than 45 minutes.

For you vacuum sealers, do you freeze before you "vacuum"?
I vacuum seal leftover PP sometimes, but I always have to freeze it before vacuuming. Otherwise, I end up with alot of juices getting pulled out of the bag of PP.
That's why I don't fuss with the vacuum sealer, unless I plan on storing in the freezer relatively long-term.

Is there some other method to prevent this?

Vacuum seal it.

When you are ready to reheat it, drop the vacuum seal bag in a pot of simmering water for 20-30 minutes... if it's frozen it may take a little longer...

I agree with JM.

Jeesh...this friggin' Kamado keeps getting more and more expensive everytime I find out I need something eles...:doh:

Ok... so vacuum seal and reheat in hot water. cool.

I'm guesssing I can just move what I have in the fridge into bags with a little apple juice and reheat slowly...

Thank you, gentlemen ! I'll tell you what.. I belong to firearm, hunting, automotive, even appliance forums and this group is the most enthusiastic bunch I've ever encountered.

I like it ! :mrgreen:

Get a frying pan hot and put a handfull of pork in it with a Apple Juice ice cube.

Greetings GrillNewbie,

If you're thinking of getting a vac sealer and you are willing to wait for a deal, I would suggest that you sign up on the FoodSaver.com website. Let them send you notices for their sales. I've seen systems go for 1/2 off!

If you can wait I'd go that route and use the heavy freezer bags until the price gets right.

Just my .02.

Blessings,

brotherbd

For you vacuum sealers, do you freeze before you "vacuum"?
I vacuum seal leftover PP sometimes, but I always have to freeze it before vacuuming. Otherwise, I end up with alot of juices getting pulled out of the bag of PP.
That's why I don't fuss with the vacuum sealer, unless I plan on storing in the freezer relatively long-term.

Is there some other method to prevent this?

Not sure as to the brand you have but mine (Foodsaver) will allow you to start the cycle (vacuum/seal) and at any time you can hit the 'Seal' button and it starts sealing immediately. This is the way I do marinades sometimes. You dont get as good (or should I say 'as much') vacuuming but it also doesn't pull out all the juice.
You might try it. Hit the Vac/Seal button and when it starts sucking out the liquid hit the 'Seal' button.

Seems to work pretty well for me.

As for reheating - what everyone else said. Low and slow with some juice or super fast and hot ............ with some juice :)

Greetings GrillNewbie,

If you're thinking of getting a vac sealer and you are willing to wait for a deal, I would suggest that you sign up on the FoodSaver.com website. Let them send you notices for their sales. I've seen systems go for 1/2 off!

If you can wait I'd go that route and use the heavy freezer bags until the price gets right.

Just my .02.

Blessings,

brotherbd

That's a great suggestion ! Thank you. :biggrin1:

Not sure as to the brand you have but mine (Foodsaver) will allow you to start the cycle (vacuum/seal) and at any time you can hit the 'Seal' button and it starts sealing immediately. This is the way I do marinades sometimes. You dont get as good (or should I say 'as much') vacuuming but it also doesn't pull out all the juice.
You might try it. Hit the Vac/Seal button and when it starts sucking out the liquid hit the 'Seal' button.

Seems to work pretty well for me.

As for reheating - what everyone else said. Low and slow with some juice or super fast and hot ............ with some juice :)

Doh, I can't believe I never thought of that.

Mine's a Food Saver and those are the 2 buttons, but that method never occurred to me. For moist foods, I'd seal, freeze, cut the seal, then vac/seal it back, which I know must partially defeat the entire purpose.

Thank you, good sir.

...Hit the Vac/Seal button and when it starts sucking out the liquid hit the 'Seal' button.

That's what I do too and never had a problem. This past go-round I didn't like the quality of que I pulled. It was a little dryer than normal. Mad and put out, I went ahead and added a splash of apple juice to each bag before I sealed them. Should be interesting to see how that works out.

Back